FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lots of info on opening any on how to defend abuse of skills

<<

pickmonger2

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Lots of info on opening any on how to defend abuse of skills

Every one knows we can open or bypass it ... its a part of the job.

How can I prevent or mitigate the shit storm when because of my professional skills I get accused of theft or abuse of my "magic powers"?

Aloa has lots of training how to open it, what about keeping our ass out of the sling in lawsuits or being criminally charged.

I want the CRC Book Publishing book "Handling Allegation's Of Abuse Of Skills: A locksmith's guide"
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:12 pm

Re: Lots of info on opening any on how to defend abuse of sk

Sounds like somebody had a bad week..

Really sorry to hear that.

Seems that the world if full of a..holes and they do bad stuff to good people..
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm

It sucks but it is a risk we all take. Stand tall, flaunt your reputation, if that fails make them prove it. When they fail, sue their ass off for defamation of character. The whole time reminding them that they started something you wanted no part of.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

pickmonger2

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 pm

Actually it was a friend 16 year old kid Dad was a landlord accused of using master keys for theft.

We know some kids used tools to reserve engineer the master keys. Grandmaster level

Rights Amplification.... A lot of people thought it was a BS excuse but can we agree that technically its at least possible?
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:10 pm

The first article I saw on “rights amplification of a master key system” was written by Matt Blaze in 2002. He is a computer science guy.

Certainly very possible. Even if you don’t determine the top level master, having multiple shear lines that can open a lock doesn’t make it more secure.

If it’s a restricted blank there is always the “build it up with solder and file to suit your needs” method.
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:43 pm

I don't know what you've got going on exactly, but about 20 years ago, I met a friend of a friend who knew just a couple things about locks. He had a follower and a pinning kit for rekeying locks as a handyman. Anyway, he had figured out the master key to his apartment building (Weiser) by taking his own lock apart and measuring the pins so that he knew which depths didn't match his own key. All he did after that was had a locksmith cut the key by code. Now days there are places online that will cut keys by code, saving them a trip to their local locksmith if they're feeling shy.

Not sure how you know it was master keys vs. picking or bumping or anything else, but I guess my point is that unless we're talking something relatively difficult, like even Best or Medeco, there are a lot of different ways for relatively unskilled people to open/bypass a lock or obtain a working master key without having access to an existing master key. (Though having access to such a key through borrowing or accessing a lock box of some sort is certainly another common method.) At the end of the day, most locks are only there to keep the honest people honest and most criminals are simply going to kick/pry/smash/cut their way into almost anything they think they want to get into.
<<

JujuGenève

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am

As Mastersmith said, in last resort you still have the possibility to sue or at least threaten to sue.
My oldest friend is a locksmith and sometimes he has those same kind of accusations or the too curius types of persons asking suspicious questions and questionning his honesty. He never miss to tell me how he handled each situation. He owns his own website where he can find customers, it's https://www.serrurier-romand.ch/serrurier-lausanne/. I think it's a really good idea because people now find locksmiths with their phones, it's the best way to find a locksmith or any other trade business.

Most of the time he simply gets falsely mad, just enough to make it credible, and immediately asks if they are calling him a liar/thief and if they have a good lawyer. He is totally right to be this agressive, it works almost everytime. The best defense is a good offense.
Last edited by JujuGenève on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Fascinax

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am

If you're criminally charged, just say nothing and ask for a lawyer then everything should work out fine: the charges will be dismissed unless you say anything since they can twist anything against you.

Return to Professional Locksmiths