FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Electrician skills

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Electrician skills

Does anyone here know a good school to become an electrician.

I heard that the school districts don't give their locksmiths the access control work but give it to the electricians.

I want to do both so I want to upgrade my skills to an electrician even though I heard most access control is basically 12volt work.

I'm thinking of Abram Friedman Occupational Center but they have 3 different classes.

Also thinking of Pasadena City College, but don't know if it leads to an Electrician as it more looks like Electrical.

But PCC does teach welding, a skill I would love to learn.

CLH!

Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 am

Re: Electrician skills

Becoming an electrician is a very long and complicated process. You need many hours of classroom teaching as well as hours as an apprentice. I don't know how practical it really is unless you want that to be your primary trade. Just my two cents.
<<

keyway_grooves

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm also investigating this crossover, as it is a groundshift in the locksmithing trade as a whole, akin to magazines going digital from only print. The term in currency seems to be "locksmith-electrician" (although electrical locksmith seems just as well). There seems to be a similar rise in new electronic upstarts in the home security IoT (internet of things - think smart toasters and locks) push, together with the old lock companies and with more technology focused companies seeking to come in from the opposite end. The conflicting standards for IoT can be a lot to tunnel around before some establish a strong command of the market as a whole, and just like with physical locks and the automobile repair industry, the tendency is for no set curriculum to exist but rather larger manufacturers providing training alongside apprenticeships at proprietorships or chain stores. There seems to be an opportunity to create new associations for the trade and standards for licensing and training/apprenticeship, but also a strong chance for siloing of information and leaving certain parties out of the game entirely when the dust settles. What I can share from my experience with computer programming is to be wary of putting eggs into one basket - I invested in one phone programming ecosystem Nokia had under development for some time before they got bought out by Microsoft (some years ago, before they became quasi-independent again(?)) and had the whole rug swept out from under me as they shut down that operation and pushed their start into Windows Phones. Software security is easy to silo into a fully controlled app ecosystem, as Apple has proven, and the next ambition by the various players in this market war is more than likely fully controlled device ecosystems.. Who would have thought that Microsoft could quite soon be the maker of your next physical window lock?
Last edited by keyway_grooves on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

keyway_grooves

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 pm

If you are thinking to just to piece together your own curriculum from learning the electrical and the physical separately, it could take a while. From your post, it sounds as though you're in SoCal. There's the Maxine Waters Employment Training Center you could possibly check out for electrician training - what's more electrical than Watts? Autumn classes start August 14th: https://www.waterstrainingcenter.org/, and they also do welding.

If you don't mind subscribing to conglomerate ecosystems, there's always the manufacturers themselves. I haven't gone through all of Assa Abloy's online university, but from what I've seen of the two topics that I've enrolled in, the quality is high and there is a very wide range of topics that include some electrical. https://www.assaabloyacademy.com/en/loc ... /americas/
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:20 am

Yeah, WATTS is a little too far more me. I'm more closer to LA Trade Tech, East LA College, and Pasadena City College.

Well I do know a locksmith has to wear many hats. Sometimes foil hats. I like the term electrical locksmith or maybe even low-voltage locksmith. I've been researching the C-7 Low Voltage Systems Contractor - License as that would apply to us. I've seen companies that have the C-7, C-10, and C-27 licenses too.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/About_Us/Library/Licensing_Classifications/

I have read that there is a difference in studying electricity vs electronics. At the Pasadena City College website that subject has way different classes from each other. I think studying electronics will probably be more beneficial to the locksmith, maybe.

I just wonder what locksmith made that key for Benjamin Franklin. He might could of actually been our first electrical locksmith in history.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

keyway_grooves

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Still learning the lay of the land here in the city of angels - south side would be quite a commuting distance.

it seems like the most important part after figuring out what wire goes where would just be safety, and that could mean both electricity and electronics are needed - maybe someone could shed some light on the matter for us.

Seems it costs quite a bit over (pdf) or a little bit under (phone/tablet app) $100 to download what the local standards are for electrical work, as the country uses a for-profit(?) non-government organization's publication https://www.nfpa.org/NEC (2017 current, California's still on 2014) nationwide

From what I remember about physics electricity and magnetism, Franklin did quite a service with his sharing popular interest in the unseen energy, but the confusion regarding charge was an ugly legacy to pass on to academia (positive means absence, negative means presence of electrons) that remains crooked

Return to Professional Locksmiths