FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need advice: special lock needed to prevent child abuse

<<

Protecting Kids

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Need advice: special lock needed to prevent child abuse

I spoke to some about the fire pad and as of now (code) it can not be used on a door that is accessed by the public and can only be used on doors for emergency situations like an emergency exit. Familiar Face, you are making a LOT of assumptions. I am the one bringing to the attention of the church that they have spaces that are way too private where abuse could easily occur. No one else is doing anything to change this issue so yes, I decided to reach out to every community and ask opinions/ advice. Yes, I have asked local officials, yes, I have asked local and non-local locksmiths that are licensed.
No one had a solution for me until I spoke to a locksmith that carries 100’s of brands for commercial use. Maybe, you have had experience with someone in your life that did something like you are suggesting: just to say “I told you so”. But this is not the case here. Also, had you read the conversations in their entirety above ^ you would see that yes, I am going to talk to a licensed locksmith again, may get a licensed locksmith in the community to volunteer his time, etc to install. Now I will agree after talking to many onthis forum that I should not do the install, and to be honest I can’t install this type of lock anyways.. As of now, the only rule for the space is a simple door knob with a lock that can be unlocked from the inside.
Churches, community centers, etc are volunteer areas and someone must do “research”. There should be no issue for someone to utilize every community for research, as long as the job gets done.
I just spoke to the local fire code official and he has approved the lock I have suggested with the modifications and was quite happy as he said the egress function is all that really matters and was happy that something was being done for the safety of our community members.

The door has to be forcefully closed in this situation, so it would be very hard (and stupid) for someone to slam the door shut with the deadbolt in the locked position. Yes, it could happen and yes, it would likely damage or break the lock but it is a risk I think the community is willing to finance since it fulfills all other requirements of the space and since no one can work around locking the door while inside except enlisting someone to lock them in.. but, I am open to REAL suggestions where the lock would not get damaged. If you just want to be rude/ harsh, please don’t.
<<

MartinHewitt

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Visitor wrote:The advantage of a fire pad is anyone can quickly and easily open the door without knowing how a lock system works.

Actually this is depending on the cultural history of a person. I guess a lot of person would stand before such a door and would not know what to do. I also never used a fire pad. I am certain, I would get it open quickly, but not as quickly as a for me normal door handle.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Protecting Kids

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 pm

martinHewitt, thank you for pointing that out and it explains why i can't (to code) use an emergency pad here. I thought it would be easy for people but our code states that persons/employees have to be trained (surprisingly) and it must be on a door that is used for emergencies only and not the public.
<<

Visitor

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Good luck with your quest.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am

It sounds like What you need is a classroom deadbolt. They're made for restrooms so that they can be locked out unlocked from the outside with a key, but only unlocked from the inside with a thumbturn. It would also be impossible to lock them from the outside and then close the door
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:24 pm

The only lock that I can think of to prevent child abuse is called handcuffs.

It seems like they should have a no kids allowed beyond this point sign or use a buddy system.

The only way to fix this situation is get rid of the problem people.

You might as well install a panic button on the inside to set off an alarm (and that unlocks the door, failsafe) in case of an emergency, they have these in hospital bathrooms.

Don't forget to use the Megan's Law website to see what sex offenders are around that particular area.

We used to have to rekey a lot of skidrow hotels and you'd be surprised how many they can have in one building or in one area.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm

chieflittlehorse wrote:The only lock that I can think of to prevent child abuse is called handcuffs.

It seems like they should have a no kids allowed beyond this point sign or use a buddy system.

The only way to fix this situation is get rid of the problem people.

You might as well install a panic button on the inside to set off an alarm (and that unlocks the door, failsafe) in case of an emergency, they have these in hospital bathrooms.

Don't forget to use the Megan's Law website to see what sex offenders are around that particular area.

We used to have to rekey a lot of skidrow hotels and you'd be surprised how many they can have in one building or in one area.

CLH!

I have a better idea. It's a brain injection to cure child abusers

bullet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:09 pm

LOL, DIY Dave.

Doesn't cost must either.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths