FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A little gem of intelligence to dwell on...

<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 pm

A little gem of intelligence to dwell on...

So I had a complaint yesterday, always a serious matter, in my eyes -

A customer came back kicking off because the key that he had gotten me to copy for him
'did not work any better than the one he already had... '
... Now, and this, depressingly took a fair bit of time to explain the possible theoretical reasons FOR this result of him asking me to copy a non working key...

Just thought I'd share that with the class...
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Re: A little gem of intelligence to dwell on...

castle 2 wrote:So I had a complaint yesterday, always a serious matter, in my eyes -

A customer came back kicking off because the key that he had gotten me to copy for him
'did not work any better than the one he already had... '
... Now, and this, depressingly took a fair bit of time to explain the possible theoretical reasons FOR this result of him asking me to copy a non working key...

Just thought I'd share that with the class...

Some real morons out there.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 pm

It happens all the time here especially with automotive keys. So much so that when I am duplicating a worn key I will ask them how well it works, that usually kicks it off there and I head them off before the key is cut. Fortunately I'm not in the shop that much so I really don't have to deal with it.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 am

A while ago i had someone from a school with a copied key that needed to be copied again. They returned the next day saying the new key doesn't work. I asked them if the old key worked , they said it worked fine. After several unsuccesfull tries , i asked them to bring in the cylinder. They did. The old key didn't work. After jiggling the old key for a few minutes it turned , and she was like "you see , it works"
I still don't know what to say to that.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 am

I believe that that is a product of the same Jedi-rivalling school of cognitive mastery as gave us the (shockingly widely-held) belief that if two keys kiiindov look the same {''see, look, duhhh, only THAT bit an THEM TWO BITS THERE iz diffrunt--KORRSE they'll both work... ''}.... Silly me, how did I possibly not notice that, yes, of course they will, you run along and try that now...

Genius
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Just run.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm

I heard another one off a colleague of mine;
A genuine, in distress call from a lady who had been left sitting in a friends car whilst they were meant to just be running to the shop and back - she was the supermax security prisoner of the car owing to the fact that the child lock system was active and she was sat in the back.
The rest of the car was not locked, but it seemed like she was already contemplating having to get her mail forwarded to the vehicle, owing to the fact that she was unable to raise the driver on the telephone...
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock

Return to Professional Locksmiths