FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

To tell or not to tell that their locks are crap

<<

pickmonger2

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 pm

To tell or not to tell that their locks are crap

My landlord keeps the master keys and all the unit keys in a cupboard in his office protected with Weiser deadbolt. At least the door frame is steel set in concrete.

I want to warn him of the risk of easy picking and/or bumping. It also means that the key to my apartment is at risk

If I tell him of the danger I don't want to be a suspect if some one does get in and steal the keys.

It also means that the key to my apartment is at risk.

If you are not a locksmith how can you warn someone about a major problem with the locks with out being suspected if something does happen.
Last edited by pickmonger2 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: To tell or not to tell that their locks are crap

Your apartment is at risk from someone's foot.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am

It's basically a catch-22 sometimes.

You basically will have to come up with a script, or as magicians call it, patter. But I sometimes keep my mouth shut because I don't want to be suspect myself. So maybe suggest a security camera to be watching the keys so if something does happen, you're not suspect.

Or try to sell him a Medeco lock to secure the key cabinet.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am

This might be an unpopular opinion, but since I rarely see break-ins by nondestructive means, I think that Schlage locks are sufficient for most homes. I try to dissuade people from putting the cheapest contractor-grade locks on their doors, but I think the Schlage deadbolts put up enough of a fight, given that the first and only line of attack seems to be booting or prying a door open. The bigger problem here is having all keys labeled and on the premises.
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Try not to worry about it. Schlages are good enough for most residential purposes. Above-par for apartments from what I have experienced. Have you checked if they have spools? Some do and are decent for the price.

Hard numbers seem unavailable. I have read anywhere from 3 in 1000 to about 7% of all burglaries involve picking or bumping in North America. So the other methods are 20 times as concerning.

...Or just get rental insurance, take inventory, and rest easy.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Why do you not change your lock?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Why do you not change your lock?

The last time I had an apartment, the lease agreement said the locks could not be changed or rekeyed.

Of course, there was nothing in the contract saying that you could not modify the key to achieve the same effect. So I did that instead. :twisted:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous letter, there you can spill all the beans you want.

I wouldn't be so worried about it, especially when the same problem is with your door most likely, as in it is just as easily picked/bumped than the office door. Or is it?
<<

MB15

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous letter would be rather random ?

I`d say fook all and just change your own lock(s)
As well as the landlord you just don't know who else has keys.
(Whole host of previous tenants ect)

Years & years ago I was noticing things moved slightly , Paperwork esp
So I changed the locks, A week later I get a call from the landlords asking if my key was working alrite..
Yeah it works fine? I asked why did they ask? They said because they can`t get in.. I said ohh I changed the locks -Why are you trying to enter the property as you have to give notice?
Some piss poor excuse like they wanted to measure up for new carpets or something.

Fooking :wanker:
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Unless you have a good personal relationship with your landlord, I wouldn't bring up the ability to pick it.

Would you be able to add an additional lock to your door - that could solve several issues. It would be higher security, and you could just leave that one unlocked days they need in.

Where I live, we have Kwikset smartkey. Low security, but I'm glad no one carries a masterkey around, and they most likely rekey every time because it's easy to do. I've added a security strikeplate and hinge reinforcements to prevent kick ins
<<

Visitor

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 am

Can not change your lock or else what will happen?

Change your lock, send a note round to all other residents saying their home is at risk because of poor key management and send a note to owners/managers saying their systems are inadequate. I wouldnt put your details on the note and if anyone confronts you about your lock change you did so because of the note.

I agree with the suggestion of not to worry about picking, they will mug you for your keys before they do that.

If it's work and it's the customer with a crap locking system I always tell them and always suggest a solution but I always let the customer make their mind up whether they want the upgrades or not.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I am going to send the landlord an anonymous email to get him to check certain videos showing how crappy the locks are in his building.

Some tenants also got notes in their mailboxes telling them to check these videos and tell the landlord that something needs to be done.

It demonstrates lock bumping and picking with an easy to make snap picking tool . There is also the threat from some one reverse engineering the master keys.

All the keys for the 200 or more apartments are in a cupboard with a crappy Weiser deadbolt.

He also can see websites where people brag about how easy it is to defeat locks for stealing.

He has to understand that this a huge hobby and not all people are honest and B and E is quick and easy.

Why would some one risk kicking in a door when a bump key is almost silent and quicker ?

I suspect the landlord could be sued for not exercising due diligence in protecting the tenants and their property.
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 pm

I rent and it states that the locks cannot be changed or we could get booted so I loaded the lock up with security pins to at least have some hope that no one picks it.... its a kwikset lock
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 am

Pick-Fu wrote:I rent and it states that the locks cannot be changed or we could get booted so I loaded the lock up with security pins to at least have some hope that no one picks it.... its a kwikset lock

"Cannot change", but it didn't mention anything of modifying, adding more locks or disabling the crappy lock ;)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:
Pick-Fu wrote:I rent and it states that the locks cannot be changed or we could get booted so I loaded the lock up with security pins to at least have some hope that no one picks it.... its a kwikset lock

"Cannot change", but it didn't mention anything of modifying, adding more locks or disabling the crappy lock ;)

Modifying or disabling could easily fall under “change”.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths