FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to tell cam shape on Euro Profile lcoks?



User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 24

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Location: Denmark

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:43 am

How to tell cam shape on Euro Profile lcoks?

Dear all =)

There seams to be two different types of cams for euro profiles.


I would like to replace my current euro profile lock, but all Ruko/Assa locks I can find have the one piece cam.

Right now I have to turn the knob manually twice to lock it. It it not one of those where you just have to shut the door to lock it.

Is it possible to know which type I currently have in my door without taking it out?

Jasmine =)


User avatar

Prolific Poster

Posts: 905

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Location: Italy

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am

Re: How to tell cam shape on Euro Profile lcoks?

I bet the one on the bottom. The other one, with the gear, is quite uncommon and require you disassemble the lock to take it out.

Usually here in Europe only the one on the bottom is used. You can remove the lock by removing a single screw from the side of the door and turning the key a little.

Cheers :)


User avatar

Prolific Poster

Posts: 925

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Location: Germany

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Re: How to tell cam shape on Euro Profile lcoks?

The behavior you have doesn't sound like it is determined by the euro profile lock, but by the piece around it. (Don't know the English word for it. In German it is called e.g. Einsteckschloss depending on how it is mounted.)
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt


User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 369

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Location: England

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: How to tell cam shape on Euro Profile lcoks?

Hmm. Using Google Translate, "Einschtekschloss" means mortise lock. That can't be what you're thinking of, surely.

I have a PVC front door with a euro cylinder and the 3-point locking system. You can lock the door with just the bolt by turning the key. If you lift the handle up, this brings the 'claws' of the 3-point system out, and then turning the key locks the door. The handle returns to it's normal position. You only have to turn the key once.

One way of finding out what sort of cylinder you have is by trying to remove it. As femurat said, it's dead easy to change these cylinders. Put the key in the lock, either side. Remove the long retaining screw above below the bolt. Turn the key one way or the other a little to move the cam in line with the body of the lock, and pull it out.

If you can pull the cylinder out, obviously it's the normal type. If you can't, then it would be the gear. No idea what to do with those!

Edit: BELOW. The screw below the bolt!

Return to Professional Locksmiths

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware