FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Is this a good enough set of skills for a beginner

<<

pickmonger2

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Is this a good enough set of skills for a beginner

I would like an idea if a potential job seeker in your locksmith business came with certificates in the following categories would it be enough to get a job. Are there other categories that would be needed to be considered.

Key Blank Identification
    Learn how to properly identify key blanks, locate proper part numbers and identify a variety of manufacturers. Homework assignments involved. 34 page Online E-Course. Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U.'s

Cylinder Servicing, Disc & Pin Type
    Learn the service techniques for disassembly, rekeying and servicing of these cylinders. Identify parts and their relationship in the servicing of these cylinders. 45 page Online E-Course. Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U.'s

Key Duplication
    Learn about the different types of key duplication machines and how to properly operate them. Identify proper key blank placement in the cutting jaws and be aware of the safety precautions associated with duplicating a key. 43 Page Online E-Course. Proficiency Testing Online - 3.75 C.E.U.s

Codes & Equipment
    Learn all about the different types of code key cutting equipment. Understand just what a code is and the different types. How to decode their meaning and where to reference them. Learn about a dial micrometer and its relationship to code key cutting and how to start cutting keys by code easily and inexpensively. 30 Page Online E-Course. Proficiency Testing Online - 3.75 C.E.U.'s

Basic Master Keying
    Learn about security vs. convenience, key specifications, bittings, pins, MACS and how their effects on developing a proper masterkey system. Explore the different levels of a masterkey system and which type is needed. You will develop a basic system using proper coding and master pins and much more. Lab Material Provided. 41 page E-Course Online. Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U.'s This course is a required prerequisite before taking any advanced masterkeying courses.

Lock Servicing
    Learn all about the problem solving process. Examine the mortise lock, deadbolts and knoblocks applying the problem solving process. Learn the difference between repair or replacement. Identify components and much more. 51 page E-Course Online. Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U.'s

Lock Functions, Finishes & Requirements
    Learn all about the different lockset functions and applications. Identify the different finish and ANSI codes. Learn the difference between Fire rated hardware and ADA compliant hardware. Learn the handing of doors and much more. 28 page E-Course Online. Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U.'s

Professional Opening Techniques
    Learn a variety of lock cylinder opening techniques. Learn how to properly pick a lock cylinder and what to do before you do. How to protect yourself in the performance of lock bypass when dealing with a customer. Learn how to respond to certain responses. Understand why locks can be manipulated and how to do it. Learn about tolerances and their effect. Identify the different types of pins and how they respond during picking. Identify when forcible entry is warranted. Identify the different types of lock picks available. 43 page E-Course Online, Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U's

Impressioning
    Learn the skills of Impressioning! Identify the tools and their functions. Describe the different types of single sided & doublesided cylinders. How to prepare your key blanks and the steps required to making a key by hand. Learn how to identify and differentiate tool marks. Impressioning is where the rubber meets the road and all locksmiths strive to excel in this segment of their training. 35 page E-Course Online, Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U's to edit.

Cabinet, Furniture & Mailbox Locks
    Learn about fitting keys to a variety of different style locks. Learn special impressioning techniques, picking & bypassing. Component identification, code recognition, desk locks, lateral file cabinets, locking bars, T-Handles and a whole lot more. 44 page E-Course Online, Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U's

Exit Hardware & Alarms
    Learn all the about how doors are hung, their swing, fire ratings, legal requirements, ADA, door design, with & height, style, opening measurements, flush bolts, door coordinators, astragals, mullions, vertical & concealed rod, hinges, latch guards and more. Identify the proper door applications for single & double doors. Also learn about aluminum storefront exit paddles, cover plates, and fasteners. Identify local exit alarm devices and pilfer alarms. 49 page E-Course Online, Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U's

Door Closers
    Learn about the history of door closers and identify the its components, speed controls and adjustments. Learn the types of applications for overhead, concealed, floor and automatic closers. Learn the ADA & Fire code requirements and legal requirements associate with door closer selection and installation. 35 page E-Course Online, Proficiency Testing Online - 6.0 C.E.U's

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: Is this a good enough set of skills for a beginner

Every employer is going to look at this differently. My current employer has no use for book knowledge in locksmithing. We have had too many people with letters behind their names not be able to pull their weight. Despite the pedigree they didn't perform.

One of my previous employers would take all of that into consideration but he also hired me knowing absolutely nothing.

Wherever you apply let them k ow you are a hard worker and eager to learn and to get your hands dirty.
<<

LT1170

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree depends on the requirements in your state and the preference of the locksmith or company you talk to.

Many locksmiths in my area actually prefer to fully train you their self. As long as your a hard worker , reliable, have a good mechanical aptitude and are willing to listen and learn.

One guy did say he preferred a person that had at least a general understanding of how locks work but other wise he preferred to train them mostly himself. He said he had to many people coming to him with out dated info or bad habits that he had to get them to unlearn.

So anyway thats some of the answers I got when I went around asking that question.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:46 am

Thank you for the input .

Once I finish the training I am going to have to find a good way to show that I am capable of actually using those skills for profitable work.
<<

locksmithsg

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am

pickmonger2 wrote:Thank you for the input .

Once I finish the training I am going to have to find a good way to show that I am capable of actually using those skills for profitable work.

Hope you finished your course by now. To me I picked it up mainly myself after attending a course and went out and did work immediately.

Return to Professional Locksmiths