FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Genuine blanks

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Genuine blanks

In which cases is it worth obtaining genuine blanks vs. third party ilco/JMA type blanks? I was looking at blanks, and I note that certain third party blanks are thinner but still work OK - do most people care only if the key works, or do people have a better perception of your shop if you use genuine blanks? In some cases, the third party blanks are pretty good (Like the "JET" best blanks) but in other cases, the keys seem kinda flimsy.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Re: Genuine blanks

My experience is that most folks don't care. A working key is all they worry about.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:26 am

I find that original blanks are much better in terms of material used. They even have a different look of the metal (brass mainly) which makes me believe they would last longer HOWEVER longer means 15 years as opposed to 10 years which brings us back to no one cares about that. For a customer, no one will ever ask for originals not to mentions originals will cost twice as much or even more in some cases. On a collector side, if you have a very nice rare antique lock, original key would bring the value up so it would be worth getting originals.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:01 am

Can depend on key : someone who spends a lot of money on a classic car - original keys might be asked for

I have had customers that have lost keys and for some reason - think you can supply the exact same key original

possible reason saves explaining why the key was lost - stolen or misplaced :kickyoass:

Two prison officers wondered into the shop many years back - Wanted original keys - Identical they must be !
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am

I know some car guys like OEM keys for when they restore VW's (I have made some good $ selling OEM VW blanks I got in a large lot of blanks from ebay)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:18 am

As a collector, I prefer original blanks. For day-to-day use, Jet or Ilco blanks are just fine.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:05 pm

I've only ever had one person care if it was an oem blank. And that was a Yale blank for KW1 keyway.
He was a real ass about it I remember. Other than that only car people.

I had a guy bring in an original old Toyota blank and I had to impression an old pin tumbler lock for his Land Cruiser with it. Made me nervous as hell but it got done.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks - it looks like the original blanks aren't needed in most cases, except for when the lock (or the item that it's used on) is a collector's item. I looked at some original Schlage original blanks and their equivalents, and it looks like Schlage (original), ESP, and Ilco use a lighter colored metal, but JMA and an anonymous Chinese blank use a darker metal. I never tested for hardness though.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 pm

At my old shop, master key systems were original cylinders and blanks only and we were firm on this policy. Lab pins, too. Aside from that, we gave the customer the choice and charged accordingly :)

Here at my "institution" I do original blanks whenever possible and let Jet and Ilco fill the gaps on my key-board.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 pm

I also agree on commercial master keying I always use original blanks and cylds. The original nickel silver blanks last longer and cut accurately every time on my Pro Lok blue punch where as I have had varied results using Ilco and especially the Jet line.

I always buy Ilco when not using original blanks as they seem to be the most accurate. I now refuse to use Jet blanks for any reason as I have had them ride slightly high in the keyway if cut on manual punch for whatever reason.

If you explain the difference in quality and longevity of original blanks to the consumer they many times will buy originals.

An uniformed customer will go with the cheapest thing you have.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:17 pm

I would only care if the original key had some nice designs. Other than that, it's just a key to me ☺
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Was working on a car that belonged to a "locksmith". I asked a few questions any residential locksmith (what he 'claimed' to be) should be able to answer. I got some Genuine Blank stares from him. :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:16 am

The standard Abloy Classic key blank here is about 60 cents for a Silca made one and 1 EUR as an Abloy made one. Doesn't make much of a difference, the usual cutting price for it is 5-10 EUR depending on the location. As for how long they last, I have no idea, the keys I have had for 30 years still function and the other is Silca and the other is Abloy original.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:40 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Was working on a car that belonged to a "locksmith". I asked a few questions any residential locksmith (what he 'claimed' to be) should be able to answer. I got some Genuine Blank stares from him. :mrgreen:

Gordon

hahaha got some Genuine Blank stares. :rofl:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:51 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Was working on a car that belonged to a "locksmith". I asked a few questions any residential locksmith (what he 'claimed' to be) should be able to answer. I got some Genuine Blank stares from him. :mrgreen:

Gordon

Out of curiosity, what kind of questions should a residential locksmith be able to answer? "How do you install a deadbolt and not let the pets out?" "Which brands of lock can be swapped without having to modify the existing hole in the door?"
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths