FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Genuine blanks

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Genuine blanks

tpark wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Was working on a car that belonged to a "locksmith". I asked a few questions any residential locksmith (what he 'claimed' to be) should be able to answer. I got some Genuine Blank stares from him. :mrgreen:

Gordon

Out of curiosity, what kind of questions should a residential locksmith be able to answer? "How do you install a deadbolt and not let the pets out?" "Which brands of lock can be swapped without having to modify the existing hole in the door?"

Common causes of deadbolt locks binding when installed, whether hinges affect the fit of the door and can they be adjusted, heck this guy didn't even know how may pins are in a residential Schlage. I had a feeling this guy was a drill-and-kill guy and not a professional locksmith. I asked some simple questions that of course I knew the answers to just to check. He got all the questions wrong.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:56 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:The standard Abloy Classic key blank here is about 60 cents for a Silca made one and 1 EUR as an Abloy made one. Doesn't make much of a difference, the usual cutting price for it is 5-10 EUR depending on the location. As for how long they last, I have no idea, the keys I have had for 30 years still function and the other is Silca and the other is Abloy original.

The Silca and Abloy blanks are different alloy of nickel silver. OEM blanks wear slotter blades really fast.
And the 0.40 euros will start to make some difference when you cut thousands of keys.

Once a week someone asks for genuine Abloy Exec keys (maybe even with identical code on the key).
This is because they moved in to a housing complex back when Exec was restricted, and they fear lost keys means re-keying all locks.
Exec has been free to copy for a couple years now.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:45 pm

tpark wrote:"How do you install a deadbolt and not let the pets out?"

Impossible.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:16 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
tpark wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Was working on a car that belonged to a "locksmith". I asked a few questions any residential locksmith (what he 'claimed' to be) should be able to answer. I got some Genuine Blank stares from him. :mrgreen:

Gordon

Out of curiosity, what kind of questions should a residential locksmith be able to answer? "How do you install a deadbolt and not let the pets out?" "Which brands of lock can be swapped without having to modify the existing hole in the door?"

Common causes of deadbolt locks binding when installed, whether hinges affect the fit of the door and can they be adjusted, heck this guy didn't even know how may pins are in a residential Schlage. I had a feeling this guy was a drill-and-kill guy and not a professional locksmith. I asked some simple questions that of course I knew the answers to just to check. He got all the questions wrong.

Gordon

The pins in a residential Schlage is most surprising to me - he must never have rekeyed a residential Schlage lock. "You mean to say you can take them apart?"

I think that locksport competitions should have events where they have to make their lock work and look OK in a situation where the holes are incorrectly pre-drilled by the customer.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I agree with your competition idea. Sometimes when you replace locks, especially older ones, you find that the holes are not the correct size or in the wrong locations. So the competition would be realistic.

And the guy swore that "Schlage residential deadbolts have four pins, same as all Master padlocks."

But back to the original thread intent, I feel that most residential customers don't give a hoot if the key is original factory or after-market. Commercial, I think more customers may expect original.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:43 am

GWiens2001 wrote:I agree with your competition idea. Sometimes when you replace locks, especially older ones, you find that the holes are not the correct size or in the wrong locations. So the competition would be realistic.

And the guy swore that "Schlage residential deadbolts have four pins, same as all Master padlocks."

But back to the original thread intent, I feel that most residential customers don't give a hoot if the key is original factory or after-market. Commercial, I think more customers may expect original.

Gordon

If the Schlage had 4 pins after he was done, how would the customer know? The lock would still work. On the original topic, if the keys work well and last many years, and the customer doesn't care that it's not an original blank, then the less expensive after market blank is a good alternative. Thanks for the info!

--Ted
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:37 am

tpark wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:I agree with your competition idea. Sometimes when you replace locks, especially older ones, you find that the holes are not the correct size or in the wrong locations. So the competition would be realistic.

Gordon

If the Schlage had 4 pins after he was done, how would the customer know? The lock would still work. On the original topic, if the keys work well and last many years, and the customer doesn't care that it's not an original blank, then the less expensive after market blank is a good alternative. Thanks for the info!

--Ted

It was more his statement that all Master padlocks have four pins. I have them with four, five, six and even SFIC version with seven pins. Decided not to waste any more time with that guy, and tossed the business cards he left into the garbage.

Gordon
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:00 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
tpark wrote:

Gordon

--Ted

It was more his statement that all Master padlocks have four pins. I have them with four, five, six and even SFIC version with seven pins. Decided not to waste any more time with that guy, and tossed the business cards he left into the garbage.

Gordon

Yeah, it is surprising that he didn't know that Master locks could have more than 4 pins. One of the Master locks, a big and heavy 930 that I bought has 5 pins, but the well for the sixth pin isn't drilled out, so you can't put a sixth pin in there by default. Weasels. The holes in the core are countersunk, presumably so that they don't have to cut the key as accurately.
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Aftermarket blanks can cause problems when using a punch such as a new-style Best Combinator. Frequently the bottom of the blade isn't as thick as it should be, and is unable to be held in place by the vise. You can get acceptable cuts in most of these cases by pushing the blank into position with your finger before punching. Other times they have other errors and are extremely difficult to get into the vise at all. Note, these are not vise adjustment issues, I've tried back to back with OEM blanks.

If I'm making something important, or anything better than basic KW1/SC1/Y1/M1 stuff, I go OEM as much as possible. The inconsistencies in the cheap blanks are more than I want to chance on anything sensitive enough that it may effect operation.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths