FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

<<

mdc5150

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 1008

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 am

Location: Arizona

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

After looking at the pictures you posted I believe more now than before that there is no bypass method being used. He is using a key. If it were being bypassed there would be at least some kind of scratches on the edge of the door. Also that door does not close flush with the frame, it's inset into the frame (center hung) which means that a bypass on the latch would take a little more effort that what is being shown.
<<

jharveee

Active Member

Posts: 743

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Location: San Marcos, Ca.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

No fancy bypass tools needed.
Looks like there would be plenty of room and easy access to the latch.
Make sure the door is properly adjusted and the latch is compatible with the strike.
Try Don-jo.com for a Latch protector.
It is a inexpensive way to increase that doors security.
Also, Re-keying the locks on common areas helps a lot, as people move in and out and don't always return all the keys.
Some time they make copies for their friends.
I'm sure there will be more helpful tips on the way.
Good luck in putting a stop to this problem.

The bait car suggestion was a joke, Don't try this at home. :smile:
<<

mdc5150

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 1008

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 am

Location: Arizona

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

jharveee wrote:No fancy bypass tools needed.
Looks like there would be plenty of room and easy access to the latch.
Make sure the door is properly adjusted and the latch is compatible with the strike.
Try Don-jo.com for a Latch protector.
It is a inexpensive way to increase that doors security.
Also, Re-keying the locks on common areas helps a lot, as people move in and out and don't always return all the keys.
Some time they make copies for their friends.
I'm sure there will be more helpful tips on the way.
Good luck in putting a stop to this problem.

The bait car suggestion was a joke, Don't try this at home. :smile:


If the strike was properly installed the latch wouldn't just pop open, you would still have to bypass the deadlatch.
<<

jharveee

Active Member

Posts: 743

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Location: San Marcos, Ca.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

Guessing its not installed correctly(the Strike). may be wrong location or wrong size.
Not being on site there is several things it could be.?
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Posts: 149

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Location: Oregon

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

I'll preface this by saying: without physically examining the hardware, this is all conjecture.

First and foremost - latch guard. Find a qualified lock/door tech to source and install the right type of guard to prevent access to the latch and corresponding electronic strike. While they're installing that, have them inspect (and adjust if necessary) the existing hardware. From the photos, it looks like hardware's not original to the door.

To elaborate: I'm guessing that the electronic strike is necessary to release the door in the event of a fire alarm. The downside of these strikes is that - even when locked - there's a bit of 'play' in them that allows for easier manipulation of latches versus a solid strike. In an ideal install, the deadlatch plunger should prevent this, however I've encountered numerous situations where there was enough space and/or play to slip the latch.

Latch guard designed for an electric strike would prevent this (to the degree possible; there are a few ways to still defeat). Also, ensure that the deadlatch plunger is functioning properly. I've had these fail in such a way that no other functions were compromised; door appeared to operate normally until you held the plunger down and realized that the latch would still depress. Additionally, ensure that the deadlatch is hitting on the jamb rather than slipping into the strike box (seen this as well).

In short, there's really no good method of fortifying a multifamily building like this (I deal with many, and have yet to find one I couldn't somehow gain access to). Take the steps you can afford (still think maglock, touch bar exit, and fob access is the way to go here, but that setup compared to a latch protector is massively expensive), and encourage good security practices among residents. Good luck to your friend and the rest of the building!
<<

C locked

Familiar Face

Posts: 45

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 am

Location: Australia

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:52 am

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

Would love to know if you find out what the problem was
And therefore how you fixed it
And what tool was being used

Its nice to know what attacks are around and how to stop them
<<

nine4t4

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 49

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Location: Toronto

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

mdc5150 wrote:After looking at the pictures you posted I believe more now than before that there is no bypass method being used. He is using a key. If it were being bypassed there would be at least some kind of scratches on the edge of the door. Also that door does not close flush with the frame, it's inset into the frame (center hung) which means that a bypass on the latch would take a little more effort that what is being shown.


The above when combined with your previous suggestion that a maglock/ touch sensor would aleviate the problem is evidence that you don't understand the sytems. Security is diametrically opposed to convience. Things like sensors and push bars make life more convenient, but they can easily be bypassed. Fire code doesn't help either because ease of egress also runs counter to security (but a bonus to pen testing)

He's not using a key, he would just act more natural instead of crouching.

I'll put money on the latching system being related to an Adams Rite electric latch. The solenoid parts are secure, but the crashbar/ wheel chair paddle/ easy of exit paddle is the weak point. I have personally dealt with a dumbass of a site supervisor that thought his site was secure. Actual dialog

"Keymark....Medeco Lite, but good key control, nice paracentric keyway"

"How long would it take to pick it assuming you can, Mr. Bond!!!" <---big mistake

"Personally, I wouldn't bother, because some of your doors have enough gap for me to use a coat hanger to bypass the latch on the crash bar. Your building is about as secure as a 1960's Honda, if not less. I can be inside in less than 30 seconds, and the door I use is probably ignored on the perimeter alarm.!!!!


Honestly, it's a coat hanger lading the latch. I'd put money on that with +90% confidence. If you haven't fixed the problem a bit of shielding would help. Also learn about penetration testing. The simple ways to get in a building will astound most people. And most of those are because people are inherently lazy
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

mdc5150

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 1008

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 am

Location: Arizona

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

nine4t4 wrote:
mdc5150 wrote:After looking at the pictures you posted I believe more now than before that there is no bypass method being used. He is using a key. If it were being bypassed there would be at least some kind of scratches on the edge of the door. Also that door does not close flush with the frame, it's inset into the frame (center hung) which means that a bypass on the latch would take a little more effort that what is being shown.


The above when combined with your previous suggestion that a maglock/ touch sensor would aleviate the problem is evidence that you don't understand the sytems. Security is diametrically opposed to convience. Things like sensors and push bars make life more convenient, but they can easily be bypassed. Fire code doesn't help either because ease of egress also runs counter to security (but a bonus to pen testing)

He's not using a key, he would just act more natural instead of crouching.

I'll put money on the latching system being related to an Adams Rite electric latch. The solenoid parts are secure, but the crashbar/ wheel chair paddle/ easy of exit paddle is the weak point. I have personally dealt with a dumbass of a site supervisor that thought his site was secure. Actual dialog

"Keymark....Medeco Lite, but good key control, nice paracentric keyway"

"How long would it take to pick it assuming you can, Mr. Bond!!!" <---big mistake

"Personally, I wouldn't bother, because some of your doors have enough gap for me to use a coat hanger to bypass the latch on the crash bar. Your building is about as secure as a 1960's Honda, if not less. I can be inside in less than 30 seconds, and the door I use is probably ignored on the perimeter alarm.!!!!


Honestly, it's a coat hanger lading the latch. I'd put money on that with +90% confidence. If you haven't fixed the problem a bit of shielding would help. Also learn about penetration testing. The simple ways to get in a building will astound most people. And most of those are because people are inherently lazy



The pictures included earlier combined with your suggestion that the latch is being loided suggests you don't know how deadlatches work. If it's properly installed the latch would not retract when the door is closed.

Also, one of my previous suggestions was a latch guard in case it wasn't installed correctly.

How do you easily bypass a proxy reader or touch bar from the outside?

And as for fire code with a magnifying lock all that is required is that the fire alarm be connected to the mag lock so that when it goes off the circuit to the magnet is opened.

I don't know what I ever said to you to evoke such an arrogant response but I would expect more from people on this board.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Posts: 181

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:45 am

Location: British Columbia, Canada

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 am

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

This crackhead (yes he is a crackhead) lacks the skill and tools involved to compromise any lock. In video number 2 you can tell he's using something like a hall pass or small pry bar. Chances are it is not a specialty tool and just some small bottle opener or something.

Put a cover plate over the latch. Get a better latch. Or a better frame all together. Nothing to do with the lock.

On a side note, cleaning up the downtown east side would be the only real solution. Law enforcement do pretty much nothing about them.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Active Member

Posts: 283

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:03 am

Re: Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

When I was working security for an apartment complex someone came in and stole a car.

It would have helped if they had better security cameras that didn't rely on CHS.

Even better if they had a parking lot attendant.

CCTV is always a determinant.

Keyless entry into a building with an audit control system will also help.

When I work for a commercial building as a security guard, every time someone exited, an alarm would sound and the video footage would pop up on who exited.
They had sophisticated locks that I still don't know what they were. But a criminal tenant still kicked in some doors and stole from other residents. I heard he got caught while driving drunk around the property with stolen items.

People would even use the balcony to climb into other people balconies.

Wish some of the apartment complex would consider security as their first option when designing the place.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware