FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:21 am

Help stop a burglar - video analysis requested.

Put on your security detective hats and give me a hand...

A good friend of mine had his Vancouver apartment building broken into twice in the last couple months. He sent me the video footage of the burglar opening the front door - see below. In both cases, the guy enters the front door and without hesitation enters the door to the parkade. In both instances, once he gains access to the parkade he breaks the windows of approx. 10 cars and steals said contents.

My friend is the president of the owners' board and they are trying to figure out how this guy is getting into the building and what they should do next - security related advice requested. Have a look and give me your analysis - I know any insight/advice would be most appreciated.

Lock is a Schlage Everest.

Security footage of burglar opening front entrance of apartment - November, 2015

- The date stamp is incorrect on this video as it occurred November, 2015.
- What is he doing to the lock? How is he opening it?
- As he enters he transfers a long silver object from his left hand to his right hand and puts it in his outside pocket, which may or may not be used in opening the door. The object resembles a ratchet wrench tool to me? What do you guys think?

Security footage of burglar opening front door of an apartment - Jan.30th, 2016

- Occurred Jan.30th, 2016
- This guy has a keyring in his hands with large number of keys - is he trying different keys? Or is it just a prop, in case someone walked up to the door, to cover using a tool of some sort?
- Edit - after Riy's comments below - i'm starting to think he could be using a bypass tool due to the way he moves his hands and how the door, under tension as he pulls on it, pops opens - it looks more like manipulating a tool than turning a key to me?

I can't help but think it's the same guy in both cases but I'd love to hear your feedback.

Finally, I know I haven't been around for awhile - a second baby girl and new job will do that - so I also want to say 'hi guys' to all you good folks at KP.

Kind regards,
Sean

Edits - to improve clarity and add info
Last edited by VancouverSpecial on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 am

Re: Help catch a burglar - video analysis requested.

Kind of hard to say. A picture of the door and frame could help.

If it is the same guy I would guess if he is actually using the keys in the lock he got a door key from one of the cars he robbed. Otherwise it looks like he is jimmying the door latch.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:39 am

I'd say he's bypassing rather than using keys - while indistinct in the first video, he appears to be manipulating a latch or bolt in the second. Without knowing type of specific door/hardware/installation situation, this is only a guess, though.

If I'm seeing this wrong, and the subject is in fact using keys, does the property use exterior-mounted key boxes (Supra-type) for maintenance, utility, or management personnel? If so, you may have a compromised code. If these aren't changed frequently or are mounted in a location where personnel entering the code can be observed, it's easy enough for someone to retrieve, use, and return keys undetected.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 am

Another thought...

If keys are being used - and they're not from the property or stolen from residents - they may be tryout keys. Everests were widely deployed in the mid-2000's, and in my experience these locks on multifamily buildings are generally master keyed to death. A good selection of bittings, and you've got a decent chance of opening a door.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 am

Riyame wrote:Kind of hard to say. A picture of the door and frame could help.

If it is the same guy I would guess if he is actually using the keys in the lock he got a door key from one of the cars he robbed. Otherwise it looks like he is jimmying the door latch.

Hi Riy,
Thanks for your response :)
I will get a picture of the frame and post it here - just sent my friend an email.
Cheers,
Sean
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:54 am

Robotnik wrote:I'd say he's bypassing rather than using keys - while indistinct in the first video, he appears to be manipulating a latch or bolt in the second. Without knowing type of specific door/hardware/installation situation, this is only a guess, though.

If I'm seeing this wrong, and the subject is in fact using keys, does the property use exterior-mounted key boxes (Supra-type) for maintenance, utility, or management personnel? If so, you may have a compromised code. If these aren't changed frequently or are mounted in a location where personnel entering the code can be observed, it's easy enough for someone to retrieve, use, and return keys undetected.

Hi Robotnik,
Thanks for chiming in :)
Interesting idea for sure as it's common to use those boxes - I sent my friend questions to that regard and I'll let you know what he says.
Cheers,
Sean
Last edited by VancouverSpecial on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:02 am

Robotnik wrote:Another thought...

If keys are being used - and they're not from the property or stolen from residents - they may be tryout keys. Everests were widely deployed in the mid-2000's, and in my experience these locks on multifamily buildings are generally master keyed to death. A good selection of bittings, and you've got a decent chance of opening a door.

I too was thinking they could have stolen the set of keys from a resident.
Regarding try-out keys, I was wondering that myself but thought they couldn't possibly work on Everest locks - however, you raise some interesting points.

Additional lock-related info:
The Everest locks were installed in the building approximately 2 or 3 years ago after they had a rash of break-ins in their parkade - prior to that they had standard Schlage locks. Since changing out the locks and installing video surveillance equipment they hadn't had any problems for almost a year.

Thanks again,
Sean
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:09 am

Riyame wrote:Kind of hard to say. A picture of the door and frame could help.

The more I watch the second video the more I think he's using a bypass.
The way he moves his hands and the door pops opens under tension it doesn't look like turning a key to me - even though he's holding a bunch of keys, which I think are just props, in case someone walks up, to cover using some kind of small black tool. What do you guys think?
Last edited by VancouverSpecial on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:07 am

Get your friend to take some pictures of the door,frame and locking hardware and then post. That makes it easier to see if there's anything obviously vulnerable.

I suspect that he is using keys and that the movements are consistent with him sorting through and trying a bunch of unfamiliar keys. Either they were stolen from a resident or they may have even been stolen from maintenance staff. Has your friend requested to sight any keys issued out or have any been reported lost/stolen since the system was installed?

A long time in policing taught me to think horses, not zebras when I hear hoofbeats. It's usually the obvious explanation.

In so far a setting up a show with the keys, I think if this guy is to lazy to ensure his face is properly concealed, then subterfuge is not likely to be high on his priority list. I also note that he's not wearing gloves and paws the door repeatedly, not something that a more sophisticated or experienced property offender will do.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:30 am

Rumball Solutions wrote:Get your friend to take some pictures of the door,frame and locking hardware and then post. That makes it easier to see if there's anything obviously vulnerable.

I suspect that he is using keys and that the movements are consistent with him sorting through and trying a bunch of unfamiliar keys. Either they were stolen from a resident or they may have even been stolen from maintenance staff. Has your friend requested to sight any keys issued out or have any been reported lost/stolen since the system was installed?

A long time in policing taught me to think horses, not zebras when I hear hoofbeats. It's usually the obvious explanation.

In so far a setting up a show with the keys, I think if this guy is to lazy to ensure his face is properly concealed, then subterfuge is not likely to be high on his priority list. I also note that he's not wearing gloves and paws the door repeatedly, not something that a more sophisticated or experienced property offender will do.

Hi Rumball Solutions,
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Good observation about the second video regarding the guy' not wearing gloves and we do see more of his face, even though they are wearing hoods in both viedeos.
When I get the photos I'll post them here.
Kind regards,
Sean
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10577&hilit=mortise+bypass+tool

Looks like the LKM273 Bypass Tool.
Use a Door guard to block access to the bolt.

Re-key the lock if you think he has the key.
Last edited by jharveee on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:41 am

Rumball Solutions wrote:Get your friend to take some pictures of the door,frame and locking hardware and then post. That makes it easier to see if there's anything obviously vulnerable.

I second this. When he gets into the garage he smashes windows on cars. That is not a sophisticated entry method, and if a the if we're sophisticated enough to be using bypass methods or subterfuge of any kind I don't see them also doing smash and grab.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:48 am

As for a solution for this problem, a mag lock on that door with a touch bar to exit, and a prox entry system would keep these guys from just waltzing in.

That is a deadlatch on the front door and not a deadbolt if I am not mistaken. I would also recommend in the short term a latch guard for this door. The second guy looks like he is definitely using a key to get in, not sure about the first. As fast as they both got in the were not using the method that goes down the keyway to get in.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:05 am

Rent a nice new car, park in the garage and spend the next week sleeping in the back seat. :twisted:
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:48 am

mdc5150 wrote:As for a solution for this problem, a mag lock on that door with a touch bar to exit, and a prox entry system would keep these guys from just waltzing in.

That is a deadlatch on the front door and not a deadbolt if I am not mistaken. I would also recommend in the short term a latch guard for this door. The second guy looks like he is definitely using a key to get in, not sure about the first. As fast as they both got in the were not using the method that goes down the keyway to get in.

:agree:
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths