FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe Relocker not set

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Safe Relocker not set

So we got called on a job for an electronic safe lock that would open on the combination sometimes but not always. And they did this a few times already.

So coworker decided to put new 9V batteries to open the lock and it work on the first try, but not on subsequent tries. So we ordered another safe lock because of the malfunction.

When it came time for replacement. All was normal until we noticed it had a glass plate in front of the lock and what looked like bicycle cables holding a gravity type relocker. But what I noticed was that even if we had drilled thru the front and broke the glass, the relocker wouldn't have a chance to set. The reason being is that I noticed the relock device had a cotter pin preventing it from falling unless it was removed. A mistake on either the safe company selling the safe or something else.

I'll upload the pictures when I get a chance.

But if you do drill and break a glass pack, it may mean nothing as it would have in our case.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Re: Safe Relocker not set

sounds like someone forgot to pull it when it was set-up.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 am

Here's the picture as promised!

CLH!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:16 pm

good eye. I wonder how often that happens.
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Safes are often shipped with a cotter pin through the relocker as an anti-lockout precaution.
I see this especially on Korean safes but other manufacturers use the cotter pin too.

Normally, there is a package attached to the handle of a new safe, containing all the information.
In this document, it does state that a pin was inserted to prevent a lock-out and that it should be removed before
the safe is put in service.

I too have opened safes that still had the pin in the re-locker. I guess some people don't read instructions... :shock:

M.

Return to Professional Locksmiths