FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question about making a key for any lock

<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 am

Question about making a key for any lock

Hello all and thanks for any help on this subject. First of all let me throw it out there; I am not a locksmith and so if you find my question very basic or downright dumb that would explain it. Okay, now with that said let's move on.

I have several padlocks and assorted cylinders that I would like to make keys for and then ultimately add some security pins and send them out as challenge locks. But, for now I'll limit myself to only talking about making the keys. What I usually do in this case is pick the locks open and remove the cores. I then remove all the key pins and start with one key pin and using a hand file I file it down and repeat the process over and over until I have a working key. However, the keys I make are UGLY. LOL. They work okay but are not pretty like the keys made by the machines.

Okay, so my question is this: Is it possible to determine the code cut for a lock and go to a hardware store and ask them to cut me a key to that specific code and have them make me a more professional looking key???? If it is possible can someone please tell me how to do it. Is it as simple as measuring the key pins???

Thanks in advance for any advice and or help on this subject.

Rick
ShadowLock
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:05 am

Re: Question about making a key for any lock

Every lock company, every pin manufacturer makes their pins a certain size related to a certain number, usually 1-9, those numbers are determined by there length(height if you will) you can measure that with a micrometer/caliper and reference it to the pin or lock manufacturers numbering system(all are slightly different) and you can then get that number to a good key maker, a locksmith usually, or even some on here with the right blank and a code cutting machine they can cut the lock from code, ie 15382 would be the code for a 5 pin key. 1 being the shortest pin, so the shallowest cut and 8 being the longest so the deepest cut. That's the basis of it, it's a little more detailed than that, so measuring the pins is the best route. Another way is pull the plug put your pins in the plug put your key in, mark it with an awl first where the cuts will go and use a file on the key till the pins are flush, this will end up with an ugly key and takes a while.

Someone may come on here and go in more depth, and I may have misspoken on something here as it has been a long time since I've messed with this stuff, which I don't think I did. You can get a cheap caliper for under $20 USD all day long and they will be a valuable tool in the long run for things like pickmaking and key making anyway.

Hope that helps you get started in the right direction.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 am

Hardware stores are not likely to have a code machine. You would need to go to a locksmith and you're probably going to pay around 10 bucks per key made by code.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:54 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:Hardware stores are not likely to have a code machine. You would need to go to a locksmith and you're probably going to pay around 10 bucks per key made by code.

:agree:

Most hardware stores especially the big box stores can barely make a working copy.
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:27 am

Awesome information guys. Thank you very much. I don't think I'll be paying anywhere close to $10 for a pretty key. LOL. I'll just stick to my ugly homemade keys. So, measuring the key pins would pretty much give me the code of the key. I understand and appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Rick
ShadowLock
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:48 am

One of the Ace Hardware stores near me will cut a key to code. Have not tried them, but you might check.

Practice will make nicer looking keys. A pippin file can help, as you can just turn the file from side to side, and you will have a smooth transition from the valley to the slopes of the key. Result - a prettier looking key.

Oldfast can make a key using hand files that looks factory. But he has to make a normal working impressioned key first, then make a second key that he essentially code cuts by hand.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:21 am

Code cutting can be expensive if you have no code machine or space & depth keys however as Gordon states right above its very possible to make nice looking keys with small hand files. I have done so myself several times. Your other option is to buy pre cut keys and repin the lock but it requires a pin kit or a cheaper way is to mod the pins to work. Many times re-arranging the pins will work out and you will likely only need to file down 1-2 pins. You can also buy a bag of pins which need to be sorted but its like $5-10 for a huge bag. Now if money is not a question, get the new HPC blitz and duplicator which is around $2000 and comes with cards plus additional cutting, then buy 2 more cutters at $50-80 each. While ordering, order a few boxes of blanks and a LAB pin kit and now your all set :) should run you around $2500 or show around and $1500-2000. My guy got a almost brand new HPC Blitz with everything included for free so miracles do happen :). Hasnt happened to me but hope is a powerful thing.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:24 am

Rick, what I do is just rekey the lock to a set of precut keys if it's something common. I always have Schlage, Kwikset, Sargent, American/Master and Arrow precuts so it's not a big deal unless it's something like Corbin which has all those keyways and depth systems.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Excellent responses from everyone!! Thank you so much guys. I think I am going to follow a couple of different suggestions that were given. First, I'll practice more with my files, and second I'm going to do some more research on precut keys since I didn't even know that could be done. I really appreciate all the good info.

Thanks,
Rick
ShadowLock
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:23 pm

You might consider learning to impression a key blank to a lock, just a thought.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Shadowlock , if you can post (or PM) some pics of the keys you've cut , i can give you some tips on how to improve.
I've hand filed quite a few keys , and most of them look (relatively) good and work smooth. They don't look quite as good as Oldfast's keys , but good enough that they don't stand out.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

just1pick+open

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:00 pm

I also have lots of pre cut sets. just let me know the brand your looking for..( lock brand, # of pins & key way ) I got good deals. :hammering:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's

Return to Professional Locksmiths