FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Making sense of Key Control Levels

<<

darksim905

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Making sense of Key Control Levels

Does anyone have links or more information on understanding key control?

There is a business locally I do IT Support for & they find that they are constantly drilling their own locks due to broken keys. They've also been told by ''local locksmiths'' (probably in fly by night vans) that the locks they use/keys can't be sourced e.g. "I can't get that for you". I know their locks are from Dorma & the keys they have are MBS keys. How does this work in terms of key control?

My understanding of the typical key control tiers:

Level I - Authorized Local Locksmith may be able to make a key/acquire hardware/copy keys?
Level II - A local dealer or reseller
Level III - Factory direct

If the owner of this place wants to get his cylinders/keys from somewhere else, can he? Does it depends on the keyway or a code stamped on the key? Will he have a contact at Dorma that only he can order this stuff through? I'm just trying to understand more of these types of setups.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:01 am

Re: Making sense of Key Control Levels

MBS (Marshal Best Security) should all be SFIC. He can use any SFIC in there. Most likely the local locksmith/scammers refuse to get the equipment to work on them so they say they cant get them.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 am

As Riyame said they should be able to use any SFIC keyway.

As for levels of key control. The highest level is to buy a unique patented keyway. That is by far the most expensive option as you are buying an entire patent keyway.

The next level is to get an end user keyway that is still patented, but it is restricted by location. No one else within usually 100 miles will have that keyway.

Then there are locksmith restricted keyways, keyways that the locksmith can use anywhere where they want to sell it.
<<

darksim905

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

If this guy has to get his products from the factory that makes the handlesets, is it typically safe to assume that it's restricted to that specific geographic area?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Pictures of the locks and cylinder would be helpful.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Professional Locksmiths