FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Should I take a part time job with a locksmith?

<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Should I take a part time job with a locksmith?

Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in a while but I am still engaged in the hobby. I have a question regarding locksmithing as a profession. I have been employed at a GM dealer for around 10 years. 5 years as a mechanic, 3 in the parts department and 2 as a service advisor. I'm considering entering the field of locksmithing because it's something I really enjoy. I would be starting part time and mostly working with auto lockouts because of my familiarity. Is now a particularly bad time to enter the business? I would like to learn safes, I am familiar with most high security locks and can pick by hand fairly well. I gained the attention of this locksmith by picking a few medeco locks along with one he didn't have a key for. I'd love to earn somewhere between 30-35 but I know it may not be possible starting out. I'm located in South Carolina in a well populated area between two cities and the locksmith is well established. I'm nervous to take the plunge. I like some advice from people in the business if they'd be kind enough to share. Thanks for your time
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: Should I take a part time job with a locksmith?

Hey mate, let me just say I love the avatar picture. Great work there.

As for help with the business, I am not a locksmith so I cant add personal info but what does come to mind is that there are several threads here with actual locksmiths giving advise, prices and more so you should dig into the forum. I am also thinking you should find out why he is looking for someone? Had someone left his shop or if he expanding because if someone left then that could be due to work conditions or lack of pay. I think your best bet would be to reach out to other locksmiths in your area and see what they say about the business. Im sure if you explain your involvement in the hobby they will gladly provide you with the info you need. Good luck.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 pm

things to consider: will you still retain your auto dealership job while a part-time locksmith ?
locks will always be around so I don't believe there is a 'bad time'.
do you have family commitments ?
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 04, 2015 7:47 pm

It would be ideal to start out part time while you still have your current job. How long has he been in business? Some people start locksmith companies as a retirement job without any prior knowledge of the business, they lack skill and knowledge to teach others. You would learn some, but likely pick up some bad habits along the way.

If it's something you enjoy, keep pursuing it. If not at that company, another. Life is so much better when you do work you enjoy. I took the plunge a few years ago, and even took a drop in pay from my former job for a while, but it was well worth it.
<<

gibson

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 am

If you have a full-time job that has benefits (401k, healthcare, etc.) and you have decided you would like to get into locksmithing, go for it!. Your experience with car locks will be very beneficial. Working for a dealership is a good way of saying on top of new technology, which in the automotive field seems to change every day. When you say 30-35, are you talking per year (30k - 35k), or per hour? Just a heads up, picking locks is just small portion of what locksmiths do. Nowadays a good part of your day is spent installing door closers, remote entry systems, cameras and alarms. Is this locksmith you're interested in working for sell/service safes?
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat May 16, 2015 8:03 pm

I work in the Downtown Los Angeles area as a locksmith in the Skidrow part of town.

I'm a shop locksmith 90% of the time and it is enjoyable but I have kept my job working as a security officer too.

I work for $9.50 an hour doing security and $10 as a locksmith and keep both jobs. I work 7 days a week but only work two jobs at the same time on Wed, Thur, and Fri, so I am able to hack it!

It seems to me you have a good opportunity in front of you and I would take it, but I'd stay with your other job too. Talk to the owner of the locksmith shop and tell him you want to keep your other job and still work for him. I'm sure you can work something out with him.

Good luck to you.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I had two previous jobs as a locksmith but quit because my bosses where crazy and stressed the hell out of me.

I almost gave up on being a locksmith but for me I guess 3 times a charm as this is my third attempt on trying out the locksmith business and I love it. I got a cool boss and also able to work my 2nd job.

Bless God and He will always bless you! Amen!

-Kenneth
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!

Return to Professional Locksmiths