FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent LFIC questions

<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:36 am

Sargent LFIC questions

Someone asked if I could repin a dozen Sargent locks and of course I said, "Sure I can!"

But I'm not really sure I can. He texted me this nice clear photo of the lock:

Sargent LFIC.jpg

It looks like a 6300 with an LA keyway. I'm so thankful for this clear picture. Usually when I ask for a photo of a keyway, I'm more likely to get a picture of the customer's foot than the lock itself. Or the customer will take the picture from across the room. Follow-up questioning reveals that he has the control key.

From what I read, I could send away for an expensive annex kit and special pins for these locks. But I think it's also true that I can remove the retainer on the back of the cylinder and rekey these without the book. And I believe that with care, I could repin each lock just by playing musical chairs with the existing pins. I'm not under the illusion that this would be fun. Is it possible, though? And is it a practical solution for a customer who wants a quick turnaround?

Thanks in advance for any input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:04 am

Re: Sargent LFIC questions

mar 29 012.JPG
http://www.sargentlock.com/file_broker.php?document_id=6604
Musical chairs. I like the way you think.
I don't have any experience with Sargent locks. If there are like Best SFIC you could swap two chambers only to achieve want you want.
Hoping the link enclosed get you to the area that may be helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 am

GringoLocksmith wrote:Someone asked if I could repin a dozen Sargent locks and of course I said, "Sure I can!"

But I'm not really sure I can. He texted me this nice clear photo of the lock:

Sargent LFIC.jpg

It looks like a 6300 with an LA keyway. I'm so thankful for this clear picture. Usually when I ask for a photo of a keyway, I'm more likely to get a picture of the customer's foot than the lock itself. Or the customer will take the picture from across the room. Follow-up questioning reveals that he has the control key.

From what I read, I could send away for an expensive annex kit and special pins for these locks. But I think it's also true that I can remove the retainer on the back of the cylinder and rekey these without the book. And I believe that with care, I could repin each lock just by playing musical chairs with the existing pins. I'm not under the illusion that this would be fun. Is it possible, though? And is it a practical solution for a customer who wants a quick turnaround?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I know what you mean about customers sending blurry pictures. Sometimes I feel like calling and telling how to use their camera.

As long as you have a control key, they aren't bad. Otherwise you'll have to pick them all to control. I'm not too familiar with the pinning, but I know it can be done through the plug opening without removing the cap on top (similar to how you would remove master pins in a standard cylinder).

Hopefully that helps, and someone can chime in on the actual pinning load.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:34 pm

I have one of $ kit's, don't use it you can use regular pins , and it will work fine just have to know how to do it
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:03 pm

These are totally different from Best SFIC. They use .003/.005 pins from your LAB kit or the Sargent rounded bottom pins. Each stack is a height of 15 with the center 2 being a height of 20 for the control lug.
You use a plug follower to rekey them, unless you really want to deal with prying the top strips off and re-staking them.
The sheet that DIY Dave linked from Sargent's website explains how the pinning works.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone. You make this sound pretty easy. That's what I wanted to hear.

Return to Professional Locksmiths