FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Truck cap for locksmithing

<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Truck cap for locksmithing

I've been looking around at different locksmith vehicles, and one setup I've considered is having a truck with a cap on the back to work in. In my research, I haven't been able to find a topper fitting for a locksmith. Standard caps and contractor caps, which are made to store and carry items, wouldn't be fitting to work in. I've seen space caps before, but they are too cumbersome.

When I googled locksmith trucks, I found the images below of a high top cap with workbenches inside. I really like this design over others. Does anyone know what companies sell this type of cap, or ways I could find one?

back open.jpg

truck.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: Truck cap for locksmithing

Have seen one running around here lately that seems like a pretty decent idea. Met the guy a couple days ago when he stopped by where I work. He is using a converted ambulance.

I asked if that was so he could take care of those who receive his bills, and he chuckled. "Laugh all you like, but in the summer, that area in the back I work in is air conditioned".

Seems like a pretty good idea. A used ambulance can be fairly inexpensive, already has inside and outside compartments, and is climate controlled.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Maybe Leer DCC High Rise.
I like the idea.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Have seen one running around here lately that seems like a pretty decent idea. Met the guy a couple days ago when he stopped by where I work. He is using a converted ambulance.

I asked if that was so he could take care of those who receive his bills, and he chuckled. "Laugh all you like, but in the summer, that area in the back I work in is air conditioned".

Seems like a pretty good idea. A used ambulance can be fairly inexpensive, already has inside and outside compartments, and is climate controlled.

Gordon

I've seen pictures of locksmiths using ambulances, but had never thought about the advantages they would have. Heating would be a concern with a truck cap since it's not connected to the cab.

I'm driving a chevy express right now and it's difficult to heat or cool the cargo area, but at least it makes it bareable
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Also a Ambulance has Inverts wired in with nice outlets ;)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:39 pm

jharveee wrote:Maybe Leer DCC High Rise.
I like the idea.

Thanks, the Leer looks about right. They make them up to 40 inches tall. I did some more searching and found ARE makes a similar one, but it is only up to 36 inches.

Truck beds seem to average 18-20 inches deep from bottom of the bed to top of the sides. Leer would be a total of about 58-60 inches of space, and the ARE would be about 54-56 inches. My van measures in at 54 inches.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:45 pm

There's a locksmith near me that uses a small school bus. lol
Pretty cool rig really. He's truly mobile with everything he needs.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Professional Locksmiths