FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Detex ECL-230D

<<

sirpixalock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Detex ECL-230D

So I have never installed one of these before but received a call from a customer that needs one done and I hate to turn down work. They already have the new unit on site and just want to transfer the cylinder from the old unit to the new unit. From the looks of a video I saw the lock cylinder nut was loosened with a special detex socket. I am assuming you don't really have to do it that way but was wandering what other methods some of you use for this? Thanks in advance
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: Detex ECL-230D

Those units take a rim cylinder. If you have not already quoted them a price work an IC rim housing and core into the quote. If they are on Schlage you can just get an LFIC rim housing and GMS makes a good core for a better price. There are 3 screws that hold the rim housing down. You will struggle a little getting the cover over the rim housing once it is in but it will go. You will need a couple small spacer rings. These units are a really easy install, once you have done a couple. Take your time and do it right. Don't get too frustrated.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:29 pm

I almost forgot. Just in case you are not already doing this, when you install a Detex unit take one of the keys for the cover and put it on a keyring. Keep that key ring for when you are servicing any Detex unit and it will be very handy to have. You can make a copy to replace the one you are taking, but I lIke to keep the originals so I don't have to stamp them.
<<

sirpixalock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Return to Professional Locksmiths