FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help! Couldn't pick 7-pin IC MBS/best

<<

LockManipulator

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Help! Couldn't pick 7-pin IC MBS/best

So i was at a college campus for a camp type thing and accidently locked my key in my room. I didn't have a room mate either so i contacted the people in charge and they said they would send someone down to unlock it. I, of course, had my picks on me and tried to pick it. I was supposed to be at a dance in 10 minutes and had to get dressed. 4 hours later, the door was still locked, i was still undressed, and no one had come by to open my door. I was pretty pissed but mostly cuz i couldn't pick the lock! It was seven pins and it was an IC. On the lock it said MBS with the little logo thingy. But not all the doors were like that. Some said best. All the keyways were the same though. The key had a little protrusion at the tip of it that i didn't know what it was for. It didn't feel like any spools or serrated or anything, just a normal 7 pin lock. I've never dealt with an IC or best or MBC before so i don't know if there is any difference with any of those but i had 4 hours of alone time with it and it wouldn't open! I feel like i should be able to pick it since i've picked the medeco biaxial and this is just a lock on a college dorm! help anyone?

the lock keyway was roughly like this and some said best and others MBS but all the same keyway: http://www.austinpremierlocks.com/wp-co ... linder.jpg i wasn't able to get any actual pics as i don't have a phone and i didn't have my camera at the time
<<

LockManipulator

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Help! Couldn't pick 7-pin IC MBS/best

this picture is actually pretty much exactly what the key way and key shape is. The key had a little protrusion at the front like the one in the picture too. The bitting on my key was pretty nasty also. http://www.georgia-market.com/Calhoun-/ ... _image.jpg
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I definitely would not be picking any lock that did not belong to me ...
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm

First thing wrong.. You tried to pick the lock that didn't belong to you, regardless of you being locked out of "your room". If nobody showed up you should have called back.

Best style SFICs are not easy to pick because the tolerances are quite good plus the fact that they have 2 shear lines and you must pick one or the other, you can't have pins from one line mixed up with the other. So you might set all but one stack to operating but that one stack set to control will prevent the lock from opening. Not to mention it is is 7 pin lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 pm

If you get caught and the school administrators are not the merciful types, they could decide to charge you with something. If that does happen and it ends up on your record, it might affect your chances of qualifying for federal financial aid. I doubt it can get that serious from what you were doing, but with all the budget cuts going on, it's probably better to play safe and not do anything that could put you at risk.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 am

i know the rules, geez. but i was locked out of my room and had to get dressed for a dance. and, no one was around anyways since all the administrator type people were at the event. plus, it was the room i was staying in and i had a key! it was just locked inside. Another thing is that the reason i was at the college was for a camp by my church and i know the people there and how they would react. They would be cool if they saw me trying to get in for that reason since no one was supposed to be out. everyone was supposed to be at the dance but i wasn't allowed in my current clothes.

But right now, i'm just interested in how to pick the lock! i'm not at the college now, i'm home and i plan on buying one of these locks to practice on. Can anyone give me helpful tips?
<<

cyrano138

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am

Read Matt Blaze's article on these. They are very challenging locks. http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/sfic/
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Daggers wrote:i know the rules, geez.

Obviously not.

Daggers wrote:but i was locked out of my room and had to get dressed for a dance. and, no one was around anyways since all the administrator type people were at the event. plus, it was the room i was staying in and i had a key! it was just locked inside. Another thing is that the reason i was at the college was for a camp by my church and i know the people there and how they would react. They would be cool if they saw me trying to get in for that reason since no one was supposed to be out. everyone was supposed to be at the dance but i wasn't allowed in my current clothes.

So you know how campus security and the faculty would react to you trying to break in to a room? People you have most likely never met before? The fact is you committed an ILLEGAL act. If the person did not show up to unlock the door you should have phoned them back or gone to the dance and explained the situation. They could have either let you in or gotten one of the administrators to go unlock it for you since they were all supposed to be there.

Daggers wrote:But right now, i'm just interested in how to pick the lock! i'm not at the college now, i'm home and i plan on buying one of these locks to practice on. Can anyone give me helpful tips?

The link that cyrano138 provided is a great resource for information on these locks.

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Daggers wrote:i know the rules, geez. but i was locked out of my room and had to get dressed for a dance. and, no one was around anyways since all the administrator type people were at the event. plus, it was the room i was staying in and i had a key! it was just locked inside. Another thing is that the reason i was at the college was for a camp by my church and i know the people there and how they would react. They would be cool if they saw me trying to get in for that reason since no one was supposed to be out. everyone was supposed to be at the dance but i wasn't allowed in my current clothes.

I understand your dilemma and in your shoes and at that age I might have found myself tempted to do the same. I think the point the others are trying to make though, is that while there was a low chance of getting caught and you had the legal right to enter that room, both ethically and legally you really had no right to PICK that lock. Picking locks can potentially damage them; as you've been hanging out both here and on lp101 for a while now I'm sure you're familiar with the common threads posted by people who picked some lock somewhere and are now distressed because the lock no longer works. Also, in the slim chance that you had been caught picking it, the university could have prosecuted you for breaking-and-entering (or burglary, etc... however the statues are worded in your particular state).

Lockpicking is viewed as a shady skill. Even locksmiths are often viewed with suspicion in our society. Hobbyist lockpickers are the redheaded bastard stepchildren of the lockpicking world and it doesn't take much to make you, and by extension the rest of the hobbyists look like the crooks that people assume they are.

At my old house before I recently moved, I don't think there is a single house on my street that I didn't open at least once for the people who lived there, at some time or another. Once word leaks out that you're a locksmith, everyone assumes you'll do it for free or at least super-cheap since you're a neighbor. The first time I did a lockout for a neighbor, once I opened the door for a few seconds they were elated and grateful. Then all of a sudden their faces changed as it dawned on them that someone on their street had the ability to come and go from their house, anytime he wished, had I been so inclined. After that I never picked a lock for a neighbor again. Whenever someone locked themselves out I'd just go looking for an unlocked window, which I could find 3/4 of the time, and make them crawl through it to go unlock their own door. Or else I'd send them around to the opposite side of the house under the guise of looking for an unlocked window, while I slipped the latch on a different window and by the time they made it around the house to where I was, I'd just tell them I found this one open.

I'm not saying all this to add to the dogpile and jump all over your case, I just wanted to try to explain things a bit more and perhaps ease some of the tension since you seemed a bit upset by some of the comments in this thread.

That being said, these locks can be hard to pick due to the dual shear line. Some folks pick them without any trouble, but others struggle with them for ages. As already stated, the Matt Blaze article is a good resouce. Beyond that, I'd say just get a used lock and practice, practice, practice.

*edit* while I was typing this, Riyame made the post above basically saying the same thing. But since I already typed all this out, I'm posting it anyway.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I wasn't really getting upset, i was just trying to explain how i saw things. This is one of those topics that could go either way, depending on the opinion of each individual person. lol it's dumb to get worked up over something like this online since it's, online... lol who cares? thanks for the link though! i understand how they work now! i must have been setting some pins at the control shear line since all the pins felt set but the lock didn't open.

How can i avoid setting at the wrong shear line?
<<

Riyame

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Daggers wrote:lol it's dumb to get worked up over something like this online since it's, online... lol who cares?

No, it is not dumb to get worked up over something like this because we all care. When one person screws up it makes ALL lockpickers look bad in the eyes of everybody.

There is enough stigma against us that we do not need bad press.

<<

cyrano138

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Daggers wrote:How can i avoid setting at the wrong shear line?

Prof. Blaze mentions the i-core tools in the article, which is pretty much the only way I'm aware of to ensure setting a particular shear line. I'm trying those tools but haven't had any more luck with Best cores with the tools than without them so far. As Jeff mentioned, they have really good tolerances so they're quite tough to pick for people who haven't been at this for too long (like me), even if you get rid of the dual-shear line problem.

I think, as with most lock picking stuff, the best way to learn is to do some research, which you're doing, and then just get hold of a few and get practicing.

Jack
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I think there comes a point in the mind set of a lockpicker or locksmith WHEN A RELAXED ATTITUDE to how he looks at his world and locks.
that is not common place in the thinking and attitudes of other peeps and scares the shit out of them.
i agree with many points in this topic friends and family have to learn to live with us.... the rest of the world dont and spend alot of money on security to live in a secure world in there minds.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 am

Riyame wrote:
Daggers wrote:lol it's dumb to get worked up over something like this online since it's, online... lol who cares?

No, it is not dumb to get worked up over something like this because we all care. When one person screws up it makes ALL lockpickers look bad in the eyes of everybody.

There is enough stigma against us that we do not need bad press.

I meant that since someone commented i seemed to be getting worked up my statement was for me not getting worked up over people telling me what i did was wrong. I get the fact that others would care about what i do with my picking skills. basically, i'm just trying to say i don't let anyone get to me by saying my actions were not justified.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Daggers wrote:basically, i'm just trying to say i don't let anyone get to me by saying my actions were not justified.

When you are picking a lock that does not belong to you, you are breaking the law. Period!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
Next

Return to BEST