FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just a note on Dorma SFIC

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Just a note on Dorma SFIC

Just a note on Dorma SFIC cores.

Cut keys and pinned up a couple Dorma SFIC cores for a member, and wanted to give those of you who want to do the same a 'heads up'.

The size and shape is the same as any SFIC (give or take length for number of pins).

The depths are like any standard SFIC. But the spacing is very different.

So you will need to measure and use a micrometer card with a code cutting machine to cut working keys.

A key punch will put too much spacing between each bitting, making it progressively more off.

And tip stop? Awww, who needs it? Sure, proper Dorma blanks for these would be tip stopped, but the owner of these cores found another key blank that fits. So these are now shoulder stopped. :mrgreen:

Where there is a will, there is a way. :D

So if you are going to play with Dorma, be careful of the spacing. Kaba Peaks is also different from Best and Dorma.

Have fun, people. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: Just a note on Dorma SFIC

Nice work Gordon, KM was able to make keys for one of my Dorma cores a while back using Sargent blanks.
On the subject of Kaba Peaks - they have both .140 and .150 spacing.
.140 is used if you have mortise, rim, KIK and SFIC in the same system, .150 is standard SFIC so you can use the tools for Best cores.
Source = Kaba Peaks tech manual.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Looking prettyyyy sexy. Even has a nice ring to it Sargent Dorma lol.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Nice work Gordon, KM was able to make keys for one of my Dorma cores a while back using Sargent blanks.
On the subject of Kaba Peaks - they have both .140 and .150 spacing.
.140 is used if you have mortise, rim, KIK and SFIC in the same system, .150 is standard SFIC so you can use the tools for Best cores.
Source = Kaba Peaks tech manual.

Thanks for that data, Jeff. The only ones I have tried to make keys for happened to be a mortise using an existing key (now, due to your info and how the pins did not line up, pretty sure that key was for standard SFIC, but matched the keyway) and a SFIC that did not match up with Best, so that SFIC must have had the .140 spacing.

Of course I'd have to get the mixed-up ones. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:59 pm

I have a Kaba Peaks LFIC for Sargent sitting here. Don't feel like digging out the calipers though.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to BEST