FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Finally got my hands on a S&G Environmental

<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Finally got my hands on a S&G Environmental

Unless it spins 360 degrees I wouldn't think so... If you can use something that will rotate all three discs together so they all stop at the same spot then go from there.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:11 am

Nope does not turn 360 just maybe 30 degrees past where the other two stop
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:35 am

I have made keys for these locks before. I cut mine on a rotary turn table, which has all the degrees built in it. I use rod and drill another hole in the bow section to drive another rod at ninety degrees to make a T-shaped key. The design works great. Tolerance are very good on these locks.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am

The tolerances might be my issue with picking this, the videos on these locks make them look so easy! Haha
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Success!! Key number 105, these locks are kinda touchy with the positions of the disks, I went through the list a few times before I got it to open
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:20 pm

That would make sense; believe 105 is also a BN key (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Nice work!
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Whats the 12 stamped on the body mean? I was under the impression that was supposed to be the key number
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:31 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:Whats the 12 stamped on the body mean? I was under the impression that was supposed to be the key number

Could be many things from a customer number to a series serial number or a lot number. I have seen several locks with numbers stamped on the sides but the numbers did not match with the key number.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Good to know, gonna see how I do at making a key for it tomorrow, I watched a video on some of the testing they did on these environmental locks and I must say I am impressed, kinda surprised they don't have a higher security lock core though
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:11 am

Twenglish, congrads on your first enviro and on the successful opening. These locks are very impressive and interesting and were on my wish list for a while, I was even thinking that I wont ever get one until a buddy helped me out and now I own 3 of which one has the most ridiciouls story but I wont go into it here. My understanding is that these locks were made with a main focus of working in any condition presented in the wild. Even after 10 years in salt water heat mud etc etc etc they are made that the key will turn with ease. To increase security, they also have a 5 disc version with I understand is/was used on some RR applications but the more disc, the more chances something will malfunction and thats not what they were made for or at least thats not what the consumer (RR) wanted.

If you havent gutted it yet, there is a video on yt showing the gutting and also a write up here as well.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Here is the video I watched on the testing, I am very impressed with some of the test results

https://youtu.be/zoEp4Mtt9Kw
Last edited by twenglish 1 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:Good to know, gonna see how I do at making a key for it tomorrow, I watched a video on some of the testing they did on these environmental locks and I must say I am impressed, kinda surprised they don't have a higher security lock core though

The standard environmental lock that you can purchase new has a 5 disk core in it, and it appears as though it uses the intermediate angles, at least mine does. In addition, there's no external marking on the lock, so there's no hint as to how the lock is bitted. I used 5/16 brass rod to make some of my keys, and it's much easier to work with than the steel rod.

My process is to cut an inch and a half piece of brass rod, then file the bottom 5/8's of the rod (actualy a bit more than that) so it's half round. I then cut the bitting into that, and test it. Once it's good, I braze the inner race of an old skateboard bearing onto the rod (for the collar) and cut a notch into the top of the key and braze a large washer to the top for a bow. You don't really have to braze a collar onto the key, if you file the half round area long enough, the key will be stopped by the end of the keyway.

I see you got it working - congrats!

Here are some of the keys I've made.

<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:20 pm

I went off Bosnian bills dimensions for my key, 5/16 rod, I used steel, used a grinder and ground the first .9 inches to half, then filed the cuts .3 inches apart, mine only had one, then cleaned it up with a file, made a center cut on the back about an 1/8th deep with a cutoff wheel, tapped a washer in and did a quick tack weld to hold it

I seem to have noticed some of the original keys make the cuts only slightly wider than the disks leaving extra material that slides in between the disks, this must be why they call it a self cleaning keyway as this action would help scrape out dirt
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:46 am

Just ran across this and thought I should share. I had no idea they were for sale like any lock. The smaller 5 disc yes but not the massive one we are discussing here. https://securitysnobs.com/Sargent-Green ... dlock.html
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:55 am

They do sell the larger locks, but only as five disc locks. Three disc locks are strictly railroad, AFAIK. All 'civilian' versions have five discs.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
PreviousNext

Return to Sargent & Greenleaf