FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Let's talk about Medeco pin rotation

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 am

Let's talk about Medeco pin rotation

So as many of you know, I've been trying to get down pin rotation for a while now. I wanted to see if you guys have good ways for rotating without a groove grabber and the like. Right now my strategy is as follows:
(1) Provide an ample amount counter-clockwise TOK tension.
(2) Search for a pin that isn't properly rotated
(3) Remove most (if not all) tension
(4) Rotate the pin by either (a) using a claw pick to manipulate the pin or (b) using a diamond pick to push/pull it into the correct rotation
(5) Go back step (1) until they are all rotated properly
(6) Finally, lift the pins to the shear line

This method has been working OK for me so far. I have a five-pin biaxial which I can normally get in about 4 to 7 minutes (with isn't too bad for a newbie like me), but that's still quite a while. Most of that time is spent just on rotation, so you see why I want to find better means to do so. Also, all of my pins are FORE-style unfortunately (bought 2 cylinders and both had fore only - Lame). So I'm guessing with AFT-style mixed in it will be harder. I have tried the clockwise approach of raising to the shear line and then rotating, but I can't find a good way of providing ample rotation. My guess is that there's too much tension so I can't get past a false gate on the pin.

So, any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :D
Howdy!
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Let's talk about Medeco pin rotation

If I recall correctly the angle of the key cuts are 30 degrees. Hope that helps your quest.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

20 degrees.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

barbarian

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I can't offer any suggestions, but I do have a question.

How do you decide if a pin is caught in a false gate or the real one ??

Very well done by the way. SPPing a Medeco without any tools to help is not easy..
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 pm

barbarian wrote:How do you decide if a pin is caught in a false gate or the real one ??
At first, you may not be able to tell the difference. But once you have sufficiently picked the rest of the lock enough to the point where the pin(s) false gate will be binding directly from the sidebar. You should be able to check what I call the "wiggle factor." Basically when a pin is binding directly from the sidebar (or from being over lifted and binding), it will cease all movement (not wiggling). If however the pin is set to the correct angle it will never completely cease movement (you can wiggle it back and forth with your pick).

So, if you have a pin that isn't moving (wiggling) at all. It's cause is from either over-lifting the pin, or an incorrectly set angle.
<<

Foo

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Well I'm sure you're looking for something more along the lines of spp, but ever since I got a rather thick city rake from sparrow I've been thinking of trying to make a medeco rake (I've never had much luck with city rakes). I don't know much of the details, which I think are locked away from us heathens on that other site, but they seem to be city like rakes with angled cuts on them. You can see the special rake made for SFI by scrolling down here http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23414. I haven't quite decided what angles to use yet, probably just eyeball 20 degrees aft and fore, gotta read up on medecos, with a dremel.
Thought I'd mention it in case you've never heard of it before. And remember, this is all wild conjecture on my part.
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:You should be able to check what I call the "wiggle factor." Basically when a pin is binding directly from the sidebar (or from being over lifted and binding), it will cease all movement (not wiggling). If however the pin is set to the correct angle it will never completely cease movement (you can wiggle it back and forth with your pick).
Oh my gosh. "Wiggle-factor." Love it! Perfect way of describing it. :)
Howdy!
<<

barbarian

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:.... You should be able to check what I call the "wiggle factor." ........

Thanks very much.. Makes perfect sense..
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Foo wrote:Thought I'd mention it in case you've never heard of it before. And remember, this is all wild conjecture on my part.
Wild conjecture is the best kind of conjecture. :) The idea of a rake for rotating is an interesting notion. It seems like you'd have problems with the pins in the back. Say, for instance, your rake ended with a 20 degree left angle and your lock ended with a 20 degree right angle. Might have luck with two separate rakes though. Sort of reminds me of those Medeco rotation picks covered in that Scribd article called Makeup and Breakup of a Medeco Biaxial Lock. At the end the author creates some interesting picks for rotating.
Howdy!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Nice link there Chem. good reading, thanks!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 am

Foo wrote:Well I'm sure you're looking for something more along the lines of spp, but ever since I got a rather thick city rake from sparrow I've been thinking of trying to make a medeco rake (I've never had much luck with city rakes). I don't know much of the details, which I think are locked away from us heathens on that other site, but they seem to be city like rakes with angled cuts on them. You can see the special rake made for SFI by scrolling down here http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23414. I haven't quite decided what angles to use yet, probably just eyeball 20 degrees aft and fore, gotta read up on medecos, with a dremel.
Thought I'd mention it in case you've never heard of it before. And remember, this is all wild conjecture on my part.

Those are some fine looking tools there, Foo.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

escher7

Post Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 am

Foo wrote:Well I'm sure you're looking for something more along the lines of spp, but ever since I got a rather thick city rake from sparrow I've been thinking of trying to make a medeco rake (I've never had much luck with city rakes). I don't know much of the details, which I think are locked away from us heathens on that other site, but they seem to be city like rakes with angled cuts on them. You can see the special rake made for SFI by scrolling down here http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23414. I haven't quite decided what angles to use yet, probably just eyeball 20 degrees aft and fore, gotta read up on medecos, with a dremel.

Pics on this link are dead.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:15 am

Not surprising for a 3 year old thread.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 am

escher7 wrote:

Ok, just to get this straight...

Someone posts a thread on another forum, six years ago, referring to pictures hosted on their own photobucket account waaaay back at that time.
And you're letting us know... so we can fix it?

Yep, that sounds about right.

... Just teasin' ya a bit ;)
<<

escher7

Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 pm

MBI wrote:
escher7 wrote:

Ok, just to get this straight...

Someone posts a thread on another forum, six years ago, referring to pictures hosted on their own photobucket account waaaay back at that time.
And you're letting us know... so we can fix it?

Yep, that sounds about right.

... Just teasin' ya a bit ;)

Nope. Just trying to save someone going to the link and finding no pics. Trying to be courteous.
Next

Return to Medeco