FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Medeco Padlock

<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Old Medeco Padlock

Medeco is still a bit out of my league at the moment but, I do believe in pushing myself and I like learning new things. So I bought this used Medeco padlock off eBay. The one thing I can't seem to find though is any information about it. I did a Google image search and followed all the links but, the most information I can find about it is that, it is old... I was hoping someone here might know something about it, for my curiosity's sake. The design is extremely simple but, seems well thought out and solid. Though the shackle has a ton of play I cannot get it to come free without unlocking it.

The cylinder appears to be the same kind of cylinder in the large S&G military padlocks from what I can tell. jruther2 on YouTube did a nice detailed break down of the cylinder so now I have a better understanding of what I need to do to pick it, and what not to do if I decided to ever gut it (you can still hear the screams of the first cylinder I ever tore apart).

<<

Neilau

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Old Medeco Padlock

Anyone ?????

I'm interested to.

Nice pictures kmh.

It's a bit of a bummer when someone (particularly a new member) posts a question (and nice photos) and no one responds.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 am

I was trying to find info but could not find the links I used to have.

This is a 50 series medeco high security padlock. It is a Medeco copy of the Sargent Greenleaf 826 series padlock. The round things in the top are for drilling and cutting resistance. The cylinder is close to the ones used by S&G but is a bit wider.

I think it was a chrome plated brass/bronze body.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 pm

and it appears to be a level one "Air" keyway. it was restricted when it first came out, but now anyone that does medeco can make those keys as the patent has expired. the little play is normal. trust me you won't open it without the key. :)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Neilau wrote:Anyone ?????

I'm interested to.

Nice pictures kmh.

It's a bit of a bummer when someone (particularly a new member) posts a question (and nice photos) and no one responds.

Cheers.

Keep in mind this is a holiday weekend (a big holiday in the states) many ppl are probably out visiting families. ;)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I like everything about that lock. PM me if you ever wanna sell/trade :drool:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Neilau
Thank you but, its not that big of a deal =). I was just curious is all. And thanks for the complement on the pics. I do try to take good pictures to make things easier on us all.

Riyame
Aaah thanks. I did a google search on that and found this link...
http://www.askyourlocksmith.com/Catalogs/Medeco%20High%20Security%20Lock%20Manual.pdf
it is on page 55.

It might be brass but, like you said it is chrome plated. On the inside you can see copper from where they didn't chrome it all but, no brass. It is a very heavy lock though. Buy holding them I can tell you my Abus 83/80 is just slightly heavier and a lot bigger than this Medeco (dont have any scales for exact weights).

rerun12
Will do but, if I ever decide to it will be a long time from now. I don't see myself picking this anytime soon lol. I still mainly practice with my American Locks so haven't devoted a lot of time to this one yet, maybe a few hours so far.

If your interested I do see 1 more up on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDECO-HIGH-SECURITY-PADLOCK-LOCK-MILITARY-A-/190981505255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c776280e7

Mine came from the same seller and had the same surface rust but, works flawlessly. I took some PB Blaster and some steel wool and the rust was off in 2 minutes.
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:46 pm

keymaster1053 wrote:and it appears to be a level one "Air" keyway. it was restricted when it first came out, but now anyone that does medeco can make those keys as the patent has expired. the little play is normal. trust me you won't open it without the key. :)

Yeah I need to get another key for this as this one came quite bent. My problem is actually finding a locksmith shop within a hours drive. Sometimes living in the middle of nowhere has its disadvantages lol.
<<

klafaille

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:16 am

As mentioned it's a 50 series which Medeco called the Protector High Security Padlock. It's a cast bronze body that is chrome plated. The one pictured below is the same lock but with security plate and chain, the part number is 50-012022-00. I also have one of these locks, exactly like the one you have, brand new and with 6 keys. I did a little rundown on it in the video Here.

01.JPG

03.JPG

02.JPG

All image credits go to ebay seller kristinblueskye11.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks that's was very informative. Funny thing, You and I got our locks at the same place and I think they are keyed the same. Mine is stamped A9 with “A”-Locksmith rather than A8 though. The angles and depths match dead on.
<<

klafaille

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:10 pm

kmh wrote:Thanks that's was very informative. Funny thing, You and I got our locks at the same place and I think they are keyed the same. Mine is stamped A9 with “A”-Locksmith rather than A8 though. The angles and depths match dead on.

Email me your address and I'll get one in the mail to you. Not like I really need six keys to one lock. :)

kerensky77 @ gmail . com
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:16 pm

That's extremely kind of you, thank you =)
<<

klafaille

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:32 pm

No problem. Interestingly enough, the bottom of the body on my lock is stamped 10 while my key is stamped 8. I see that your key and body are both stamped 9. Makes me think these particular locks were all keyed alike, the one that was marked "8" was relisted and just sold this morning as a matter of fact.
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 am

I did notice that with yours and mine. I didn't even pay attention to the others ones though. You are likely quite right.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:41 am

kmh wrote:....Will do but, if I ever decide to it will be a long time from now. I don't see myself picking this anytime soon lol...

My perscription/suggestion for this :)

A very heathly & daily dose of Xeo's videos.
And, THIS article (which could use some adhesive! imo)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
Next

Return to Medeco