FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco Keyway Chart?

<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 pm

Medeco Keyway Chart?

So, I decided to make a Medeco keyway identification chart/key blank cross reference, but I wanted to see if anyone had already done it before I went really nuts with it, and I also wanted to solicit assistance if possible. Right now, I've got the Ilco/JMA stuff copied from their catalogs and W3. (Ilco/JMA have Air/00, Sky/04, Gold/G3, Platinum/N3, Patriot/PA, Liberty/JL, R1, and C3) Also some cam stuff that I largely haven't identified as far as what medeco refers to the keyway as. I think Star made some other stuff but I don't have a catalog of theirs.

So assuming nobody already has a chart like this, here's what I know I need pictures of: Z3 Y3 X3 E3 S1 D4. If you've got one of these, I'd appreciate just a clear picture taken straight on looking at the keyway/the front of the plug. I'll turn it into a black/white image like the keyway catalogs have. If you're into cam locks, I need pictures of Z8 J8 W8, and I don't know what medeco calls the keyways for most of the cam locks tbh. Most of my focus has been on full-sized biaxial.

Also, I don't know what keyway JMA's MDC-16S is (Maybe Y3?), nor what keyway MDC-13DS/MDC-16DS/MDC-18DS is (but my hunch is S1).

I'd also take info (and pictures if available) on any other Biaxial keyways I didn't mention. I've got a half-baked list of M3 keyways (Gotham/DK Freedom/FM NYC/FK DL DR DZ DL FJ DT DM DW FB) but I'm not really doing anything with them, in part because I think it's really hard to identify those keyways visually. I read somewhere that many of them use the same physical keyway, but have different sidebar lengths, so it would probably be good to know which use the same keyways and which have the longest sidebar lengths which you could mill down to fit the others, but that's not a focus of mine right now, especially since there aren't any aftermarket blanks for M3, though the patent either has already expired or expires this year.

Thanks for any help! If someone directs me to the appropriate place, I'll happily share this with the rest of the class.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Re: Medeco Keyway Chart?

I can get you photos of X3 keys and keyway. give me a day or two to unbox some..
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:53 pm

I have Y3 now. I still need Z3 E3 S1 D4... Squelchtone might have X3 coming.

Also found an odd little Canadian site selling some medeco blanks that aren't ilco or jma, maybe made in house? Not a bad price at a hair under $2 each. They've got Y3, S1, W3, PA, G3, and a couple of odd multi milled blanks they call XYZ and XYZR. They're not super clear on what they fit imo, but I'm going to look into it!
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Okay! Blanks came in from the Canadian site... I'd name it, but not sure if that's allowed? It comes up with some googling for aftermarket Medeco blanks. They're a little rough around the edges, like the head feels as though it could have used some polishing compared to mainstream aftermarket blanks. I haven't asked, but I assume they're milling them in-house.
I was most interested in their XYZ and XYZ-R multi-milled blanks. I can confirm that XYZ fits Y3 and an unidentified plug I have laying around from a rekey job. I can also confirm that XYZ-R does not fit Y3 (looks to be essentially a reverse of XYZ, predictably) but does fit R1, G3, and C3. I suspect, comparing it to blanks I have, that XYZ will fit S1 and XYZ-R will also fit N3, but I can't confirm. I don't think that either one will fit W3 or PA, and i can confirm that they won't fit air or sky.

I want to know what these fit... But I don't want to buy every keyway I can find on ebay. Here's where you come in! If you have an identified keyway (as in you know it's X3/Z3/N3/etc.) that I haven't been able to test yet and you think it will fit, just shoot me a pm with what keyway you have and I'll send you a blank to keep for free, as long as you promise to tell me if it fits or not, and send me a picture of the face of the lock so I can add it to the keyway chart I'm making, if it's one I haven't already acquired. I have 5 of each of these to play with before I have to order more, and I'll keep this thread up to date on what fits what until I eventually come out with the whole keyway chart I'm working on.

Lastly, these multi-keyway blanks are (predictably) a little thin, I'm not sure they'd do great in a production environment where they were used regularly, especially if the lock took some effort or they had a relatively deep cut.

Edited to add pictures of the key blanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:08 pm

found the site, they want 25 bucks to mail a couple keys? wow..
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Yikes! Guess I'll make a note to never come in under $100, high shipping is a major turn-off for me. I don't have a lot of experience with shipping to/from Canada, maybe it's just always high? The Canada Post label on the package I got doesn't list a price on it, so not sure what they actually paid.

Return to Medeco