FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco electronic lock (Not Cliq)

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Medeco electronic lock (Not Cliq)

As some of you may know, I also collect antique telephones and telephone related stuff, as well as coin operated things. I bought some payphones some years back from a man that owned a payphone vending company. He would put a payphone at your location and give you a cut of the profits for having it there. He also serviced payphones for other companies.

Most of his phones (and a few of mine) used Abloy or Medeco locks, but some of the Medecos were opened with a key attached to a data collector.
Let me explain, The key was a standard Medeco, as far as cuts and such, but the key was attached by a cable to an electronic data collector (small handheld computer).
the head of the key was plastic with an electrical contact on one side that touched a similar contact on the lock face. Supposedly the lock would only open if the computer sent the right "codes" to the lock, as well as lifting and rotating the pins to the right heights.
Here's a pic off of Ebay:

The "box" in the pic wasn't on his setup, instead it had something like this:

What was this system, an how did the electronic part work? I'd guess with the advent of Cliq, that this is outdated stuff.
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Medeco electronic lock (Not Cliq)

i have often wondered what these are for. how complicated are the codes? im a mechanic, trained for GM vehicles, mostly chevrolet and cadillac, anyhow we have a small key computer for older keys with chips in them called a key interrigator. there are 13 different resistances used and each key has a different resistor in it. to copy a key you have to use the interrigator (or a voltmeter). it this similar?
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Aren't there 15 different resistors for GM VATS keys?
Wouldn't it be an ohm meter that would be needed?

M.
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:20 pm

you may be right about the number or resistors, i was guessing and didnt check SI before i typed that. my fluke meter has volts and ohms, i guess thats just shop slang, but youre right ohms=resistance, sorry.
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

No need to apologize, It was only a small correction as to not mislead anyone.

M.
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm

the vehicle anit theft system on 90's cadillacs can be a nightmare. these days i barely use the key interrigator or have to deal with VATS. it was a pretty secure system, not trying to get phone mans post off topic either. im just curious as to what this medeco computer actually does and what the added advantage is. a lot of times it can decrease the amount of security when you add a computer, im still just trying to learn about it.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

I have no idea how it works. I'm guessing it sends audit trail stuff to the lock and the computer. Probably activates a solenoid too.
I also like the VATS stuff too. not as secure as the new RFID stuff, but then again, VATS can't be cloned through your pocket!
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

I read an article about the smart key systems recently. A team of researchers used antennas to bounce the signal from its owner back to the vehicle. This allowed the vehicle to be unlocked, started, and driven away. Keyless ignition to me seems way less secure. However the older pass key systems are still pretty secure.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm

What's even worse is Mercedes used an infrared "key" that not only unlocked the car, but started it too! the codes never changed either, unlike the rolling code stuff for RF, so you could literally use a TV remote to start the car just by capturing the original key's data! (hopefully they've since fixed it!)

Return to Medeco