FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Security of MedecoM3

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 am

Security of MedecoM3

I am looking at installing this lock on a vending machine and wonder just how secure this lock is against picking and/or other tricks of the trade.

http://www.lockingsystems.com/Pfd_Files/Medeco%20M3%20Vend%20Lock.pdf
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Security of MedecoM3

The Medeco M3 mortise cylinder locks aren't all that hard to pick. This version looks like it has holes rather than grooves in the pins which makes the target area for lifting/rotation smaller. I also believe the vending locks have a pretty heavy spring return on them (one that I owned had a heavy return, not sure if it was M3 or not) which makes getting proper tension a problem. I know there are guys that have picked them, but I wouldn't worry about your average thief.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I find medecos cam locks MUCH easier to pick than their mortise cylinders... and with the M3s open keyway it would be that much easier...

you can probably find you n abloy for a reasonable price on ebay if its just 1 vending machine...

but as chris said... for the average joe... i woudnt worry... if I wanted in your vending machine ill send ya a pm ;)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:38 pm

I have to agree with LSA, the M3 is a good lock and your average joe/kid isn't going to pick them, I'm still struggling with medecos. if you are really worried about someone picking the lock and stealing your candy get an abloy protec.
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:I find medecos cam locks MUCH easier to pick than their mortise cylinders... and with the M3s open keyway it would be that much easier...

you can probably find you n abloy for a reasonable price on ebay if its just 1 vending machine...

but as chris said... for the average joe... i woudnt worry... if I wanted in your vending machine ill send ya a pm ;)

I have the opposite opinion. Im not as experienced as locksmitharmy either, but I do have a 6 pin m3 mortise cylinder. The m3 i own has 2 ARX pins, 2 mushroom drivers and 4 barrel type drivers. There isnt 1 standard type driver or keypin in the whole lock. I set the rotation which is verified by the slider popping into position, and pick to sheer, everytime like clockwork. The biaxial cam lock i have, the 72s rated 5 pin, I have never been able to pick open. I just cant get a feel for it. It provides me almost zero feedback. I think ill move this query into a new topic if need be.

Return to Medeco