FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Making Medeco blanks

<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Making Medeco blanks

A few days ago I was rekeying a Medeco lock and someone at my shop mentioned that keys could be made from standard blanks to be used in medeco locks. He said that once he had made a Medeco key (for an older keyway) from a Yale GA. I'm planning to try it for myself but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what other blanks could be modified into Medeco blanks.

This may have been discussed on the board previously, if so you can just point me in the right direction.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: Making Medeco blanks

Whatever is close. One problem is that Medeco blanks are thicker than most standard blanks. What blank can be used will depend on what other blank is closest.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:22 pm

An Ilco 1095A safe deposit blank is a good one to use for Medeco code setting keys because it will pass between the wards on a large percentage of Medeco keyways, but is just thick enough to hold angled cuts for rotating the pins.

I'd imagine you could use it to cut a regular key in a pinch, but due to how thin it is it's probably not best for everyday use, or for someone who didn't know to be very careful with it.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:25 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Whatever is close. One problem is that Medeco blanks are thicker than most standard blanks. What blank can be used will depend on what other blank is closest.

Gordon

MBI wrote:An Ilco 1095A safe deposit blank is a good one to use for Medeco code setting keys because it will pass between the wards on a large percentage of Medeco keyways, but is just thick enough to hold angled cuts for rotating the pins.

I'd imagine you could use it to cut a regular key in a pinch, but due to how thin it is it's probably not best for everyday use, or for someone who didn't know to be very careful with it.

Thanks guys. I didn't know if anyone had discussed it before or not. I will definitely try the 1095A blank at least for spare keys. I guess I just need to do some looking around for similar blanks.

Return to Medeco