FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Making medeco plastic key Wired Magazine

<<

pickmonger2

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:01 am

Making medeco plastic key Wired Magazine

Will this work is it wishful thinking?

Cutting medeco keys from credit card stock

https://www.wired.com/2008/08/medeco-locks-cr/
<<

just1pick+open

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Making medeco plastic key Wired Magazine

Wow! That is very interesting.
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am

It does work, but there are some things you need to take into consideration before you cut the key.

The “news” that this could be done has been out for a while. BiLock keys can be made the same way.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 pm

I believe it was MrPharmer2012 that made a bunch of keys this way many years back and posted about it here on the forum.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

That Wired article is dated 8/8/2008 so it's old news now; that was pretty much the height of the "beating up on Medeco especially the M3" era.

This whole spoofing keys thing has moved on a bit from this stuff, there's much more emphasis these days on the ability to photograph a key from a distance (say, take a photo of somebody's keychain from across a carpark) and then 3D print the key in metal after having electronically messed about with the photographic image to account for the fact that you probably weren't able to get a shot of the key exactly flat.

From a purely philosophical perspective you can draw a historical line on this attack all the way from taking a wax impression of a key, through the method discussed in the article above, to the more recent photographic techniques - it's all about encoding the cryptographic data encoded on the legitimate key onto another tool, via some kind of intermediary medium and process. Fascinating stuff.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 pm

You have always been able to "file in" the angles on Medeco by hand. I did it in the late seventies when the shop I worked at put them on the doors. But we didn't have a machine that would cut them. I found a really old Yale blank that passed the keyway, duplicated the key on a standard key machine and then hand filed the angles. It worked great and everyone in the shop got a key. Apparently I didn't change the slope of the cuts.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

pickmonger2

Post Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:54 am

Thank you every one for your insight.

Return to Medeco