FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What are these other pins in my Medeco biaxial?

<<

y9nk

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:08 am

What are these other pins in my Medeco biaxial?

I've got a Medeco Biaxial that looks like this:
And here's what it looks like disassembled:
No, I didn't pick it. I popped the cap off the top and dumped all the pins/springs. I was sloppy about it and chambers 1-5 all spilled and got mixed up, so I'm not sure if this is exactly how the pin stacks were originally, but that is besides the point. This is my first time dissecting a Medeco, and I am curious about the purpose of the pins/springs that I've highlighted here. Here is a close-up of the pin in the 7th chamber, with pin and spring detached:
My best guesses are that this pin is either for key control or to make the core key-retaining. I have no good guesses about what the other pin/spring is for however:
Rather than inside the core, this is located on the back of the bible, here:
I haven't seen pins in such odd places before. So, what are they for?
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 am

Re: What are these other pins in my Medeco biaxial?

I *think* it's to limit travel when you use a control key and turn the key to the left to 11 oclock in order to remove the core from a lock housing.
<<

y9nk

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am

Squelchtone wrote:I *think* it's to limit travel when you use a control key and turn the key to the left to 11 oclock in order to remove the core from a lock housing.

In that case, could the five wafers shown here be control pins rather than master pins? Unfortunately I do not have a key to this core and do not have any info on whether it was mastered or not. I'm assuming that the oddly shaped metal plate that rotates around in the back of the bible is the control lug? Again, this is the first Medeco core I've looked at, and I'm still trying to understand its basic anatomy.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:25 pm

hmm, does your cylinder have a control lug on he left or right side like this: https://www.medeco.com/presets/product- ... b/LFIC.jpg

If not then it's probably more like padlock cylinder with that plate made for some special purpose.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Isn’t that a Medeco in a Yale LFIC format?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

y9nk

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 am

Mine does not have a control lug on the side like in your picture, or like any SFIC cores I've seen. It is more likely it was held in its original housing, whether that was a padlock or cylinder, with the retaining screw shown in the bottom right of the gutted photo.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:55 pm

That is a Medeco 31 series LFIC for Yale. That back part is normally not removed. It's the control lug which uses a longer blank.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Medeco