FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking bottom-out or out-bottom?

<<

lmmjgt

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Picking bottom-out or out-bottom?

Do you guys find more comfortable to start picking from the bottom of the plug out, or from the first pin/dimple/other to the deepest part?

For pin tumblers it's worked for me starting from outside in, so it gets some pins outta the way and allows me to reach easily the deepest pin. Bottom out just seems like an easy way to overset everything, especially if you're just using a lifter that's not very curvy, in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
<<

ForSquirel

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Re: Picking bottom-out or out-bottom?

I've asked this question before. I actually start at pin 1 and move in. I don't think it really makes a difference.
<<

flywheel

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 pm

In a used lock the theory is pin 1 and pin chamber 1 will see the most wear. The first pin "sees" the full length of the key with every opening. It follows that pin 2 and chamber 2 will have the second most wear in the lock by "seeing" most of the key length. Pin 3 and chamber 3 the third most, etc, etc.
Since the last pin has the least wear it's tolerances will be the tightest and most likely to bind first. The second to last pin will have the second tightest tolerances and will bind next, etc, etc.
This is the idea behind starting in the back and working forward, or out of the lock. Maybe it's only relevant to well used, decades old locks but there is a logic behind the method. Your mileage may vary.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Hmmm. Hard to say. Personally I tend think neither necessarily has any distinct advantage over the other.
In which case it really just comes down to personal preference. But sure, it's possible each might have its'
pros & cons depending on what lock you're picking... the bitting, binding order, what pick you're using, etc.

So again, whether you pick your way in or work your way out from the back depends on how you like to pick.
Take for example these two common techniques below. Both of these, by the way, have been used for ages...
I simply put a name to each of them for the ease of writing the article I was working on at the time.

once upon a time I wrote:
FINDING the binding pinstack can be done in one of two ways... lets call them 'pattern testing' and 'sweeping'.

PATTERN TESTING
Just as the name implies, each pin is methodically tested while following a pattern. This insures we don't miss any pins.
That 'perfect threshold' pressure is applied to each pin as we work our way from the back pin, to the front pin... or we might work
from the front to the back. Whatever pattern you prefer, it will likely have to be repeated several times over before the lock opens.

SWEEPING
Here, we start at the back of the lock and lightly run/pull our hook over the pins to the front in order to locate the binding pin.
With this motion, our hook tends to kind of catch, snag, and stop at the solid binding pin. Sweeping is a wonderful time saver.
It allows us to quickly zero in on the pin that needs to be targeted, while wasting no time on the pins that are not yet binding.

Sweeping is almost always my initial attack when it comes to nearly any lock.
So obviously I tend to always work my way out of the lock starting at the back.

Now, if you tend to systematically lift/test each pin individually (pattern testing),
then you could start from the front or the back. Again, just preference. A lot of
people I watch start with the first pin and work their way back. But then again,
I've seen plenty of people doing the opposite, lol.

Hell, I dunno. Try it ALL. See what you like. Whatever opens locks - stick with that.

EDIT: Also, good point from flywheel.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:17 am

Oldfast wrote:Hmmm. Hard to say. Personally I tend think neither necessarily has any distinct advantage over the other.
In which case it really just comes down to personal preference. But sure, it's possible each might have its'
pros & cons depending on what lock you're picking... the bitting, binding order, what pick you're using, etc.

So again, whether you pick your way in or work your way out from the back depends on how you like to pick.
Take for example these two common techniques below. Both of these, by the way, have been used for ages...
I simply put a name to each of them for the ease of writing the article I was working on at the time.

once upon a time I wrote:
FINDING the binding pinstack can be done in one of two ways... lets call them 'pattern testing' and 'sweeping'.

PATTERN TESTING
Just as the name implies, each pin is methodically tested while following a pattern. This insures we don't miss any pins.
That 'perfect threshold' pressure is applied to each pin as we work our way from the back pin, to the front pin... or we might work
from the front to the back. Whatever pattern you prefer, it will likely have to be repeated several times over before the lock opens.

SWEEPING
Here, we start at the back of the lock and lightly run/pull our hook over the pins to the front in order to locate the binding pin.
With this motion, our hook tends to kind of catch, snag, and stop at the solid binding pin. Sweeping is a wonderful time saver.
It allows us to quickly zero in on the pin that needs to be targeted, while wasting no time on the pins that are not yet binding.

Sweeping is almost always my initial attack when it comes to nearly any lock.
So obviously I tend to always work my way out of the lock starting at the back.

Now, if you tend to systematically lift/test each pin individually (pattern testing),
then you could start from the front or the back. Again, just preference. A lot of
people I watch start with the first pin and work their way back. But then again,
I've seen plenty of people doing the opposite, lol.

Hell, I dunno. Try it ALL. See what you like. Whatever opens locks - stick with that.

EDIT: Also, good point from flywheel.

Great post. I describe the "sweeping" technique in my book, but I always called it the speed bump method because when you hit the binding pin it's like hitting a speed bump on the road lol. Sweeping sounds much better... damnit!! It's important to have the right tension of course, too light and you won't really feel it , so I always start with a fair amount then reduce it once I'm actually on the binding pin so I can shift it into place smoothly. Same as you, sweeping is my go-to technique, as it's very efficient and feels natural. Although I don't always do it right from the back of the lock cos if I know that pins 4-5 (or 5-6, you get the idea) are set then I'll just pop it in a little bit and sweep back from the middle. Awesome technique.

Pattern testing is something I only ever do when I'm having a seriously hard time with something, but when I do, I actually start from the front instead. Using a hook with a steep angle like the peterson DCAP, I can feel the pick rolling up and down over each pin very clearly, and I can take my time positioning it just right before I push on it. I usually find that just a tiny scoot back from the very middle of the tip is optimal. With a hook like that, it's like everything is magnified and I can really see inside... I could do it from the back just the same, but starting from the front I find that I can count the pins more easily, and I get a good feeling for the pin size and spacing on my first pass like this as well.
<<

lmmjgt

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks everybody! I was also about to suggest the relation between speed bumping and sweeping until Solomon came. Great book by the way! This hobby's certainly pulling one or two dirty words out of my mouth.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Solomon wrote:Great post. I describe the "sweeping" technique in my book, but I always called it the speed bump method because when you hit the binding pin it's like hitting a speed bump on the road lol. Sweeping sounds much better... damnit!!.....

lol. Maybe the name I gave it sounds cool, but I think the speed bump analogy conveys the technique very well.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:15 pm

ForSquirel wrote:I've asked this question before. I actually start at pin 1 and move in. I don't think it really makes a difference.

It most certainly does make a difference. To successfully pick a lock by individual pin stacks, you must find the one that is bound tighter than the others. It may very well be in the middle; but it differs with each lock. The picking sequence can be very erratic, depending on the order in which the pins bind as you apply tension.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Waited a while to reply but as Solomons book was my introduction to picking I consider it my Bible and as Oldfast confirmed back to front is my method simply as it's easier to pull the pick and sweep the pins to find the binder than push/lever it front to back. Merely a preference I don't think it matters much. That's my noob opinion and I'm sticking to it.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass

Return to Lock Picking