FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset: Persnickety Picking Problem

<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Kwikset: Persnickety Picking Problem

Hi Frostypicker,

I would encourage you to turn your attention to one of the first points you highlighted, as it may provide answers;
(...). Kinda like a false set, but this is the cheapest Kwikset you can buy, (...)

From the image you've posted, you're working with a barrel and housing made from the cheapest, nastiest import zinc diecast. The tolerances & quality assurance on this product line will be quite shocking, and you may have an item of sub-standard fit & finish.
Add to this mix the spool pins you've discovered, and you'll likely get key insertion issues. If you're looking to put this lock into service, or just want to ease key operation, a little spray lubricant will suffice.

For more reliable, smooth operating mechanisms to help differentiate between problems in your personal skills / techniques and mechanical interference & faulty product, ensure you're sourcing a decent brand and/or solid brass construction. Expect to pay more.
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 am

Harvey wrote:Hi Frostypicker,

I would encourage you to turn your attention to one of the first points you highlighted, as it may provide answers;
(...). Kinda like a false set, but this is the cheapest Kwikset you can buy, (...)

From the image you've posted, you're working with a barrel and housing made from the cheapest, nastiest import zinc diecast. The tolerances & quality assurance on this product line will be quite shocking, and you may have an item of sub-standard fit & finish.
Add to this mix the spool pins you've discovered, and you'll likely get key insertion issues. If you're looking to put this lock into service, or just want to ease key operation, a little spray lubricant will suffice.

For more reliable, smooth operating mechanisms to help differentiate between problems in your personal skills / techniques and mechanical interference & faulty product, ensure you're sourcing a decent brand and/or solid brass construction. Expect to pay more.

Solid advice man, thank you.

However, I bought the Kwikset for practice because I thought it was common knowledge that they're easy to pick. What else would be easy to pick yet have better manufacturing quality? The only other ones in stores near me is Brinks and Schlage, and I'm pretty sure both are above my skill level.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 pm

frostypicker wrote:.....What else would be easy to pick yet have better manufacturing quality? The only other ones in stores near me is Brinks and Schlage, and I'm pretty sure both are above my skill level.

Don't be shy... jump right in! I think you just might surprise yourself.
Besides, that's half the fun. Either of those would be a nice 'step up'.

Also, I know how it is to wanna gobble everything up from the stores around you.....
I made this mistake and spent a small fortune starting out. Go ahead and get a few -
but I'd definitely recommend starting your lock hunts on ebay sooner rather than later.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

McLinda

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 pm

If it's an older lock, especially in a humid environment, I usually blow some graphite in first and then play with the pins without the wrench just to loosen them all up. Graphite is cheap and those little tubes last a long time. I already know, given the above variables, that that particular lock may give me problems with sticking pins, and since graphite never hurts (carry hand wipes with you for afterwards) I just start with that and haven't encountered such problems since.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:55 am

Frost,
I had the EXACT same mind set a you, "ohh no those are way above my skill level", until I had nothing else to pick and decided to give it a go then surprised myself and realized that my mind doesnt measure my skill leverl, my skill level is measured by the locks defeated. 10/28 marks the 3rd month of me picking and I picked my first Medeco a week which I would have never done measuring my own skill level as skill level is not measured by mind, but by the locks we defeat! Both Brinks and Schlage are good pratice locks but if you want a good fun challenge then get an American lock. There are millions of them in the US and they are full of security pins. Mine, Oldfast and a few others' favorites :)

I like that, I think Ill make it a quote: "Skill level is measured by the locks you defeat" - PG
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Frost,
I had the EXACT same mind set a you, "ohh no those are way above my skill level", until I had nothing else to pick and decided to give it a go then surprised myself and realized that my mind doesnt measure my skill leverl, my skill level is measured by the locks defeated. 10/28 marks the 3rd month of me picking and I picked my first Medeco a week which I would have never done measuring my own skill level as skill level is not measured by mind, but by the locks we defeat! Both Brinks and Schlage are good pratice locks but if you want a good fun challenge then get an American lock. There are millions of them in the US and they are full of security pins. Mine, Oldfast and a few others' favorites :)

I like that, I think Ill make it a quote: "Skill level is measured by the locks you defeat" - PG

I hear ya guys, I do.

But I've been having issues picking s of late. My first week was pretty awesome, I popped a bunch of different locks, including a Brinks padlock with spools that was supposedly above my level. So I went out and bought another Brinks, two American locks, and even an Abus and a Medeco from macgng (partly because they were very reasonably priced, partly because I figured I'd get to them eventually).

But after that first week, the only lock I've been able to pick at all has been the Master No. 3, and even then I can't open it consistently like I did, much less in less than 30 seconds like I could. I dunno what happened.

Even that Brinks with spools that I opened a bunch of times, I haven't once been able to pick it open since then. I can't feel the false set or the counter rotation, and when I think I set a pin and try the next one, that one falls back down. And when I finally have all of them set, it still won't open because I prolly overset them. I did lubricate it with some really crazy teflon-based fishing reel lube, I thought maybe that was the issue but you guys always recommend using lube so it seems more likely it's just me.

Maybe the problems I'm having with the Kwikset are also just me, which makes this thread pointless.

I'll keep trying though.
<<

scudo

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:33 pm

I hear ya guys, I do.

Dont panick just stay at it. I have one simple 4 pin padlock that got to the stage of how many times in a minute could I pick it, then for no reason didnt manage it for a few weeks and now I can pick it again but not easily. I have a Squire sal/40 it took me 9 months to do that one and have managed 2 more pops with it in the last couple of days. I have some Masters & Lockwoods which were kindly given to me and although I can get them open they are still a challenge, and thats where I want to be, if I could pick them all easily I would probably move on to a different pastime.

I will never reach the level I would like but who cares its a challenge and its fun. The positive for me is that at my level its relatively cheap for the padlocks I need to keep me busy and challenged, those at a higher level spend buckets more to get higher security stuff....maybe one day :-(
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Different day, different whether. Some days things pop with ease some days a 4 pin kicks my butt but we all have them. That's why it's good to move on or spray lube. Can't pick a lock you picked before? Go to the next or try some lube. Does the trick almost always.

Scudo, try Craigslist or yard sales. Iv gotten great locks for dirt cheap. Posted an AD on Craigslist that I buy all locks and I got people emailing me :)
Previous

Return to Lock Picking