FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

If you had to choose a Peterson pick...

<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:54 pm

If you had to choose a Peterson pick...

Hey guys, I just started picking about a week ago, and I'm loving it. For locks I bought a Kwikset, a 4 pin and a 5 pin Brinks and a Master No. 3, and I can already open them all consistently under a minute. I ordered an American A1100 and a A5200 for a greater challenge, just waiting for them to get here...

Anyway, back on topic. I have the 15 pc. SouthOrd slimline pick set which is nice, although I need to polish them and put on some handles. However, it didn't include any top of keyway prybars and I already realize it would be a huge help to have them after a very tough time trying to top keyway pick the Brinks locks with bottom keyway wrenches, and especially now with the American locks I have coming. So I was going to order the two Peterson makes, and while I was there I figured I'd pick up one or two of their picks to try.

I've probably already spent $100 on lockpicking stuff since starting a week ago, so if I ordered some Peterson picks it would literally be only one or two, three tops. So my question is this...If you had to choose the 3 most versatile peterson picks to SPP with, what would you get?

I'm thinking the short hook, a gem and maybe a deforester; and I was going to get them in Euro cut gov't steel then polish them. But I'm a total noob so I'm very open to suggestion from more experienced pickers. :)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: If you had to choose a Peterson pick...

Peterson Gem for sure!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:55 pm

slender gov. steel Gem
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Any second and third choices?
<<

spandexwarrior

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

1) .018 Hook1
2)) .018 Gem
3) Euro Hook 1 in Gov Steel

If I could do a fourth, it would be the Euro Gem in Gov Steel. Those 4 picks plus both Pry Bars are almost all I use and I've found very few U.S. pin tumbler locks that those won't work on if you bring the right skills.

-Brian
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:24 pm

spandexwarrior wrote:1) .018 Hook1
2)) .018 Gem
3) Euro Hook 1 in Gov Steel

If I could do a fourth, it would be the Euro Gem in Gov Steel. Those 4 picks plus both Pry Bars are almost all I use and I've found very few U.S. pin tumbler locks that those won't work on if you bring the right skills.

-Brian

The Euro cut picks are .018...
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:29 pm

The Euro profile picks are .025, the Slender Euro profile are .018 or .015.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:39 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:The Euro profile picks are .025, the Slender Euro profile are .018 or .015.

Oh wow... I completely misread their site haha. Looks like you're right about that. Eugh, It was hard to choose before, now there's even more choices >.<

Their site isn't very well organized...
<<

spandexwarrior

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Right, "regular" Euro are .025. Those are good for most things but there are locks where you will want something thinner. There are the .015 blue handled picks which are great and also the .018 Euro purple handled picks which are better for most situations. The difference between the Euro and "regular" picks is the shank height, you have some material removed on the Euros which gives you more room at the cost of some rigidity and lifespan. Blue handled slenders are "regular" and the purple ones are "Euro". If you can't have them all, the purple/.018 ones are more durable and good for most locks so I would recommend them for a new picker since the blue/.015 picks will bend if you're not careful.

-Brian
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 pm

spandexwarrior wrote:Right, "regular" Euro are .025. Those are good for most things but there are locks where you will want something thinner. There are the .015 blue handled picks which are great and also the .018 Euro purple handled picks which are better for most situations. The difference between the Euro and "regular" picks is the shank height, you have some material removed on the Euros which gives you more room at the cost of some rigidity and lifespan. Blue handled slenders are "regular" and the purple ones are "Euro". If you can't have them all, the purple/.018 ones are more durable and good for most locks so I would recommend them for a new picker since the blue/.015 picks will bend if you're not careful.

-Brian

Thanks, yeah I'm a bit heavy-handed and clumsy still, my SouthOrds are (I believe) .022 and I still bend them a little occasionally. But I'm also not sure what they're made out of, I think Stainless but they might be a cheaper steel.
<<

whizdumb

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 pm

POSTAL!! in Regular Govt steel.. I'm kinda known for being a fan of the postal pick.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 pm

whizdumb wrote:POSTAL!! in Regular Govt steel.. I'm kinda known for being a fan of the postal pick.

i have the postal as well and think ive used it once. what are some locks you attack with it the postal?

also, my vote goes to the slender gem with dcap diamond being a close second
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

whizdumb

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 am

rerun12 wrote:
whizdumb wrote:POSTAL!! in Regular Govt steel.. I'm kinda known for being a fan of the postal pick.

i have the postal as well and think ive used it once. what are some locks you attack with it the postal?

This post explains the usefulness of the postal. Even in crazy keyways it can be your best friend.

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=3962

Happy Picking,
Whizdumb
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:13 pm

whizdumb wrote:
rerun12 wrote:

This post explains the usefulness of the postal. Even in crazy keyways it can be your best friend.

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=3962

Happy Picking,
Whizdumb

I'm sure the Postal can be useful, but it seems like it has limited application, i.e. certain high security locks. Right now i'm working on easy/intermediate locks and I don't have a very large budget, so I'm looking for two or three picks that will be as versatile and as useful as possible. That's why I'm going with Euro cut, because even though I might not be picking higher security locks with restrictive keyways now, I plan to in the future and want to get as much mileage out of them as possible.

So it's looking like I should get the Hook 1 and a Gem, in Euro cut gov't steel. Or possibly Euro Slender.

Are there any other picks you guys find useful? Like the half diamond, deforester or reach for example? I haven't found a use for these yet, but I'm trying to predict situations where I would use them.
I don't have a bagota rake yet, but I'll probably get one of those from Sparrow or SouthOrd, I think it'd be a good idea to get rakes in a bigger thickness, since they're likely to take more abuse.

Return to Lock Picking