FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Wanted: video showing how to count pins in a cylinder

<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Wanted: video showing how to count pins in a cylinder

Hello Good Folks of KP,

I am trying to find a video demonstrating how to count the pins in a standard mortise cylinder.

In regards to a fellow with a bunch of cylinders for sale but who cannot tell me how many pins, whether 6 or 7 pin in this case. I tried giving some simple directions but to no avail.

He say he will watch a how-to video if I can send a link. So far I've only found a couple videos where pickers count the pins before they pick the lock; but, only in a cursory manner. Also, what common construction or household tool would work for counting instead of a pick?

Any suggestions or links would be great.

Have a great night,
Sean

P.s.
My camera is not working at the moment so I can't do one myself.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Re: Wanted: video showing how to count pins in a cylinder

Some mortise cylinders show the number of pin chambers on the bottom side.

Some don't.
2014-08-13 21.39.59.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 pm

Heya Flywheel,

Thanks for your response :)

I previously asked him to send me photos of the top of the cylinders, they were of the latter type so no dice. :(

I also asked him to send me a pic of an old key if he could find one - but none found so far.

Thank-you,
Sean
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:29 am

How about putting a hook to the back of the keyway, and slowly dragging it to the front over the pins? You can feel and hear the pins under spring tension. Works for me.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:34 am

Stick a half diamond in, upside down. Bump into the first pin. Put pick uder it, then press it up. Keep upward pressure, the push pick forward until you bump into the next pin. Repeat until you no longer bump into pins. Keep count.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 am

Since you requested 'tools' that can do this wihout picks, use a long needle like a corsage pin. Put it all the way to the back of the keyway, then use it to press the pins.

Slowly pull it out and press it in until you catch the furthest pin. Mark the pin with a fine-point pen. Continue until the pin is removed, and you will have a number of marks equal to the number of pins. (Unless you missed one, but that would be obvious due to the gap between marks.)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Wow, thanks guys for responding - very much appreciate your input!

This guy is driving me mad :twisted: as he still can't count the pins on the cylinders he has for sale.
So far, I've sent him three sets of instructions but he still can't do it :???:
I mean I'm a complete newbie at this shit and even I figured it out pretty quick ;)

I do appreciate he's willing to try and learn - however, it boggles my mind that he is in the business of installing/removing the doors and electric-lock card-key hardware for large chain hotels, but can't tell me how many freekin' pins in a mortise cylinder????

I will take your excellent feedback and send a stripped down, step-by-step set of instructions.

Perhaps the best bet will be to try and resurrect my wife's camera and make a short video for him - just focusing on how to count pins, nothing else. :axeem:

Cheers,
Sean
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:57 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Since you requested 'tools' that can do this wihout picks, use a long needle like a corsage pin. Put it all the way to the back of the keyway, then use it to press the pins.

Slowly pull it out and press it in until you catch the furthest pin. Mark the pin with a fine-point pen. Continue until the pin is removed, and you will have a number of marks equal to the number of pins. (Unless you missed one, but that would be obvious due to the gap between marks.)

Gordon

I don't know why it didn't register when I first read over it - but, this is genius - exactly what I needed! :pimpmofo:

Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a Winner!
I am sending this, if he can't do it with this then all hope is lost.

Thanks so much - my captain, my captain! :salute:

Sean

Return to Lock Picking