FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

House Lock with Mini Deadbolt?

<<

m0ose

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 pm

House Lock with Mini Deadbolt?

Ok, this is hard to explain, but here's a question. The Meat Manager at work said he had house locks that when you locked the lock when you turned the lock all the way it would send the little locking thing farther into the housing so you couldn't shim it open.

I can't completely explain it, but I guess, from the way he said, it sends the little bolt so far into the hole that you can't actually slip anything in between the lock and the receiving hole in the wall.

I know this is a horrible description, but that's the best I can explain it at the moment, and plus I haven't seen it yet. He said he'd bring it into work for me to check out.

The thing I was wondering was that if any of you know of a lock like this and if it has a name. He likes the idea of the lock and he wanted to replace it, but since he bought it like 15 years ago he can't find it and such. So I figured I'd bring it up and see if any of you knew. I was thinking of checking back through my Foley-Belsaw courses and see if it was in there, but I just haven't had time.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: House Lock with Mini Deadbolt?

Are you talking about a deadlocking double throw bolt? Deadbolts are deadlocking, but a double throw bolt would do what you are talking about and extend farther into the frame with another turn. Maybe you are talking about a latch post? I know that isn't the right terminology, but the post behind the latch on a KIK that is supposed to prevent the old credit card shim trick.
<<

m0ose

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out to see for sure so maybe I can describe it better. Referring to my Foley-Belsaw books, from what he described, the deadlocking pin extends farther into the wall or something of that nature. I guess it makes it so you can't shim it. I know from experience you can shim a lock with a deadlock pin, but I guess this design makes it harder or something.
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Ok, so he gave me the lock that was busting, and boy was it. But anyways. It doesn't head a deadlocking pin. The way he described it he made it sound that way. However it just has the standard tongue thing. Again, too lazy to check my books for the right terminology.

But yeah, it extends farther than a lock normally would.

So I was messing around with it, examining it, etc. Well, I saw that the face plate was loose. Like, waaaay too loose. So I messed with it and then all of a sudden the face plate falls off and two hunks of plastic fall out of the lock. Having an "Oh Shit!" moment I about flip. But yeah, the internals are made out of plastic. The cylinder is metal, but the bible is all plastic. I've never seen that before.

So yeah, what would a lock like this be called. He is mainly looking to replace this doorknob with something like it, but just doesn't know what to get. The ability for this thing to go farther into the wall and lock into place makes him feel safe.

I will say though, this is the best anti-shim idea I've seen on a lock. It works perfectly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470YQHiEbm4[/youtube]

*Explanation of the video*
Ok, here's the lock the guy was trying to explain. Sorry for being flustered. The lock wasn't locked when I said it was. You'll understand when you watch though.

This lock doesn't have a Deadlock pin, as I had thought. The lock is straight forward and when locked the mechanism falls into place where it can't be shimmed out.
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 am

I've seen the plastic cylinders. Utter shit, don't use them.

As for the extra bolt throw, I've seen those too but in a much larger architectural Gainsborough entrance set. The bolt throw can be considered a good anti-shim method, but it requires an extra motion to 'deadlatch'.
The bolt may look longer and penetrate deeper, but if it's a standard 60mm backset, the tongue may be extended so far that it becomes alot weaker to kicking attacks.

Personally I'd feel safer with a working deadlatching tongue, that requires no extra movement and provides equal or better shimming protection.

Set him up with a decent commercial grade entrance set, and mount the striker correctly to engage the deadlatch.

Return to Lock Picking