FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Asking for Feedback about my Bike lock Invention

<<

Bickeylikey

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Asking for Feedback about my Bike lock Invention

Hey guys, my name's Liang I'm a college student and cyclist at USC. I've had three bikes stolen while at USC and it really pissed me off so now I'm doing something about it.

I've created a lock that specifically secures the wheels of a bike. It works by replacing the hex nuts or quick release skewers holding a bike in place. It's designed so none of the common theft tools (i.e. wrenches, vice grips, bolt cutters, flamethrowers, that laser gun from Goldeneye, etc.) can get through it or get any leverage on it.

The nut can only be tightened / loosened with the specific wrench that comes in each package. There are multiple variations of these nut:wrench combinations.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on the product, whether or not you'd use it, and any advice you have (from business/marketing ideas to product improvements).

Cheers,
-Liang

PS. The Following URL is the photo of the product.
https://www.facebook.com/lockyournuts/p ... =1&theater
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Asking for Feedback about my Bike lock Invention

Sounds like an interesting idea in theory. Get some pictures up there! Then we can tell you where the vulnerabilities are :) Maybe not me, but someone on here :mrgreen:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm assuming that there is something major missing from your description as there is nothing there that describes how to lock/disable the bike.. just the nuts used to secure the wheel to the bike.. more info is needed before people can give you an analysis on it..
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Like security lugs on cars? Most mechanics just use a sacrificial 12 point socket hammered on to get them off. Of course Gator Grip sockets exist, but I don't know how well they work.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Love new inventions and the logo

great idea having the dome shape and unique design spanner BUT and is a big one you still need to secure the bike ie : chain to stop a thief walking away with your

bike and the size of the spanner is a problem also size wise ( its not going to fit your pocket ) good luck

I can see a problem with the design ( every mechanic ) will tell you with a stuck nut you require a side blow :hammering: and screw driver

idea nu 1 : possible to have a folding spanner

idea nu 2 : a second spanner will need to be supplied as a back up !! :mrgreen:

LINK BELOW ( PIN HEAD LOCKING NUT DESIGN ) NOTHING NEW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:37 pm

A decent pipe wrench should be able to get a grip on even a tapered nut. But I see nothing about this product that will prevent theft of the bicycle. As others have stated, the bicycle needs to be secured. This product will only prevent someon from removing the wheels. That product would only prevent bicycle theft if the bicycle was only locked through the wheel, rather than through the frame and wheels.

We are not trying to 'bust your nuts' :D We are trying to give you the feedback you are requesting in order to help you make an improved product.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:We are not trying to 'bust your nuts' :D We are trying to give you the feedback you are requesting in order to help you make an improved product.

lol ! :agree:
<<

scudo

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 pm

-Liang..............In your original post you state `3 bikes stolen` now ask the question ....would your `nut` prevent the thefts? I think not, as has already been stated they would just pick up the bike and walk away with it.

I admire your attempts to invent something but (in my opinion) there are more secure options already out there.
<<

Bickeylikey

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:38 pm

In reference to thieves taking bikes as whole, those are bikes that are not locked onto racks. My bikes were all latched on to racks, but always managed to get stolen.

What differentiates us from other competition are cheaper price, high-end material (one of the toughest stainless steels), multiple variations (continually adding more), safe from attempts to be unlocked (other products like the Pinhead have loopholes where it can be opened without the proper tool), and a slicker design.

Note that this is a supplement to the U-lock and other locks of that sort. I've realized many people carry two U-locks or a U-lock and chain, but with this wheel lock that problem is practically solved.

Also, if you lose the wrench, as long as you have the serial number which would be given with the product, we can ship you another.

The only way to really open this lock is to drill a hole with a power tool and then get enough leverage to open it. I tried the pipe wrench method and a lot of other methods that opened up locks like Pitlock and Pinhead, but those methods failed. You can only get leverage to tighten the lock.

I'm thinking this product can have a chance, not to be biased or anything. Is there any other feedback I can get? I'm still trying to figure out the discrepancies, so changes can be made.
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Bickeylikey, could you be a bit clearer on this? These things are just security nuts for the wheels and seatpost, yes? So you have actually had some made? That's interesting, because that wrench does not look like it would be easy to manufacture.
<<

escher7

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:37 am

There seems to be confusion over the purpose of the lock, caused by the original reference to stolen bikes. As I understand the device it is not to prevent loss of the bike, only the wheels. The nut design looks very effective for that purpose as one would need the correct wrench for removal. I can't think of a normal tool that would remove it.
Yet Bickey continues to talk about theft protection in his second post?? If that is the purpose then tightening the wheels so they don't roll would seem to be the point, not very secure as the bike could still be carried, thrown in a trunk etc.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:52 am

I like these new security bolts. Until a thief buy one and brings the key with him, your wheels are safe.

I have two suggestions for you:
- the key only has one working side. The logo side may be useful if it was a second key, in case the other one is damaged. Or may be used for a smaller version of the tool to secure the saddle and handlebars.
- the picture of the wheel with all the spikes cut is a very bad example to advertise your product. I'm talking about this picture on your facebook page. In this case, by cutting all the spikes, the bike could have been taken even if the bolt were welded!

Good luck with your project :)
<<

mapafe

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 am

Not trying to steal your thunder, but...

This has been in existence for quite a few years already: https://www.pinheadlocks.com/store/en/8-wheel-locks

Some cheap "imitations" can be found in bike stores; they usually employ a 'hex key' type nut, or even a five-sided 'penta key' type nut: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-hex-key-skewers-pair/ and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trans-X-Securit ... B000XD019E

Locking quick-release skewers have also been tried: http://www.zefal.com/nl/locks/81-lock-n-roll.html
<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:38 am

Bickeylikey, I know you're not looking for investors, but now I understand exactly what you've got here, I'm going to look at it like a possible investor would.

Is it something new in the world? No. Is it better than the alternative? In my opinion, no. You say that it is more secure than the others, but I have to say I find that hard to believe. As soon as I understood what these Nutlocks were, I knew exactly which tools I would reach for to undo one. A hammer and centre punch. You may say that wouldn't work and as I'm 5000+ miles from you, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Is it cheaper than the alternative? You say it will be, but I'd have to see some figures on that. No doubt you know how long it would take to machine just one set. There must be a limit to the amount of combinations you could produce. What would be the number, I wonder?

That's actually the best thing about these. You've actually had some made. Anyone could have an idea, but how many go that extra mile to put it into metal? Not many. You have my respect for that.

So, if I was an investor, I would say no, the way things are at the moment. However, best of luck for the future.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:56 am

femurat wrote:I like these new security bolts. Until a thief buy one and brings the key with him, your wheels are safe.

I have two suggestions for you:
- the key only has one working side. The logo side may be useful if it was a second key, in case the other one is damaged. Or may be used for a smaller version of the tool to secure the saddle and handlebars.
- the picture of the wheel with all the spikes cut is a very bad example to advertise your product. I'm talking about this picture on your facebook page. In this case, by cutting all the spikes, the bike could have been taken even if the bolt were welded!

Good luck with your project :)

Femurat, Look at the picture again and think about it a little. If the bike would of had the locking nuts on the front or rear axle, even if all the spokes were cut loose, the rim would have had to have been cut in two in order for the axle to pass from inside the rim. I'm not quite sure why the thief cut the spokes, unless he didn't realize this fact either. I like the locking nut idea and I think it has a very good future in the theft deterrent area of security. Good Job!!
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
Next

Return to Lock Picking