FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ask for Recommendation For Bike locks

<<

Bickeylikey

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Ask for Recommendation For Bike locks

Hi, can anyone help me to make my bike safe? Three of my bikes have been stolen. I cannot take it any more. I am a college student, but I cannot spend so much money on my bikes. It is ridiculous. I hope I can here something here. Anyone help me?
:axeem:
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Re: Ask for Recommendation For Bike locks

You need a disc detainer padlock. Something like a schlage kryptonite or Abus granit. They offer excellent pick resistance and have thick shackles that resist cutting and prying attacks. Also, a chain with a cut resistant shroud could help you too. Also make sure you lock your bike to something strong and secure.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Heres a good deal on a really nice lock. Price will go up probably but this isnt going to be picked, most likely.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abus-Granit-37- ... 3f3835cd6d

Heres the type of chain I would suggest. You will be able to find different prices, thicknesses, lengths and manufacturers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-SECURITY-C ... 43ca21ce91
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm

I am curious, how were you securing your bike before? Wire? Chain? What kind of lock? Was anything left behind?
Also, with the preponderance of building security cameras you might be able to lock your bike in the field of view of one of them.
<<

escher7

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:23 pm

As Flywheel says, it would be helpful to know the circumstances of each of your bike losses.

I have a beautiful Italian mountain bike that has served me well for over 25 years, and worry all the time about someone stealing it. I use a fairly common U lock with a disk detainer cylinder, but make no mistake- if you leave the bike alone for long enough someone will find a way to bypass almost any lock. The longest I ever leave the bike is while in the supermarket; at night I take it inside.

If you must leave yours while in classes, I would suggest two U locks, both through different parts of the frame and connected to a very strong post or bike rack. Locate it in a visible area where anyone trying to tamper with it will be seen, and yes, under a camera would be great. Do not use locks that have tubular cylinders as every kid knows how to defeat them. Disk detainers are OK as long as they are of heavy construction. I have also seen new locks with dimple pin cylinders which might be foreign to the common thief.
<<

scudo

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:42 am

I am in Amsterdam at the moment, the land of bycycles. I will get some pictures and post them when I get back to the UK tonight,it may give you some ideas. Most use 2 or even 3 locks and chains. Although there is still bike theft in Holland I am sure they have taken precautions to reduce the risk.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:45 am

This method is rather effective, but a little time consuming to install/remove...

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

flywheel

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:54 am

Can't see your picture. Is it just me?
GWiens2001 wrote:This method is rather effective, but a little time consuming to install/remove...

:mrgreen:

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 pm

No. I can't see Gord's picture either.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:33 pm

How about now? (In the above post).

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Picture ? I don't see no stinking picture!!
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"

Return to Lock Picking