FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Stuck Comb Pick

<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Stuck Comb Pick

Actually this utmost act of stupidity occurred a while ago... tried the newly bought comb pick on a Tri-Circle... and the comb got stuck...

IMG_20140615_102943.jpg

IMG_20140615_103000.jpg

IMG_20140615_103013.jpg

I think the comb got stuck in between the pins, and the profile is hindering me so the comb cannot be lifted...

Just enjoy a hearty laughter~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Stuck Comb Pick

I'm betting it is stuck between the pins. try sticking a key extractor or small sewing needle down the side and lifting all the pins at the same time to free it.
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

I've fixed stuck comb picks using a Peterson mini knife. You just slide it alongside the comb pick and then push all the pins up. That should release the comb pick.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:24 pm

This gives me a chance to ask a question - do comb picks work on any newish cylinders or are they now designed to prevent over-lifting?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 am

escher7 wrote:This gives me a chance to ask a question - do comb picks work on any newish cylinders or are they now designed to prevent over-lifting?

They seem to be coming back. It appears that since the locks have not been susceptible to them in a while, some of the lock manufacturers have been getting sloppy.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:49 am

Whilst I find comb picks a bit boring - there is no challenge, they either work or they don't - I have been surprised how some medium to higher end locks are now vulnerable, as the YouTube link below demonstrates.

The comb picks in the clip are well made - there isn't enough room in between the teeth to allow the pins to fall in between them, jamming the tool in the lock.

http://youtu.be/s5-hC2oBQG4

...Mark
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:14 am

In picture three....looks like the key way warding is trapping the comb pick. I suggest a anti-clockwise twist on the pick should allow it to slip into the taller warding next to it.

Try some lube. :D
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:14 am

jharveee wrote:In picture three....looks like the key way warding is trapping the comb pick.

That's exactly the problem. Dare not twist too hard, if the pick breaks then gameover. Haven't try lube yet though.
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 am

kk500 wrote:
jharveee wrote:In picture three....looks like the key way warding is trapping the comb pick.

That's exactly the problem. Dare not twist too hard, if the pick breaks then gameover. Haven't try lube yet though.

If there is enough space, you could try to move the pick out from under that ward by pushing something into the keyway on the right hand side of the comb pick. A Peterson mini knife, the shaft of any broken pick(if you have any), a piece of feeler gauge, or (as suggested above) a sewing needle may do the trick. A bit of lube, as already suggested, is a good idea.

Good luck,

...Mark
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I got a comb pick stuck in a lock in my early experimenting with them..Poor lock...had to sacrifice it to save the pick.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:52 am

I have had problems over the years similar to this , i have taken a heavy screwdriver and struck the top and bottom of the keyway and gently worked the pick/rake/whatever out , the strikes just bounce the pins enough to be able to work out the "stuck" item
Open Sez Me !
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:58 pm

It's been awhile.........So what happened to the stuck comb pick?

Return to Lock Picking