FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Master Safety Lockout troubles

<<

flywheel

Post Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Master Safety Lockout troubles

Good day,
In my hand I have a six-pin red Master Safety Lockout padlock. This is one talkative lock, unfortunately I don't speak the language. Nice clicks from the pins and lots of feeling in the pick and tension tool.
Just one problem, I haven't been able to open it. Is this full of serrated pins? Do key retaining padlocks have anything special about them? Will it now pop open two minutes later after asking for input?

That's all...thanks...take it easy
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: Master Safety Lockout troubles

Think it does have serrated pins.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I have one of those. 5/6 security pins (spools I think) if I'm not mistaken. There isn't a spring in there so you have to really watch tension. Only thing to really remember with this lock is not to turn it to far after picking it. That will result in dumping the key pins into the lock body.
<<

nsquidc

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 am

Mine had 3 spools, 2 serrated, and one regular. How do I know this? Don't turn the cylinder too far after picking as that will dump the pins out :(

On the bright side, the body is plastic so you can saw it open and use the pins to repin another lock...
<<

flywheel

Post Tue May 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies.
At my skill level it appears that luck is my best chance of opening this padlock. But the lock feedback is so pronounced I keep thinking, "this has to open any moment!" It's kind of like a cheering crowd at a race propelling you towards the finish line.

I like this padlock! I think it might be my favorite. Funny how Master puts a cheap plastic body padlock with the most secure internals.
2014-05-20 12.53.38.jpg

2014-05-20 12.54.50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by flywheel on Tue May 20, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

allan501

Post Tue May 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Interesting. Does anyone know why they would include security pins in a lockout lock. I my experience they usually aren't strong enough to be considered security they are just supposed to signal other people that the circuit is being worked on.

As for anyone removing someone else's lock that is usually dealt with informally but forcefully.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Why complain? Grab those security pins!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 pm

allan501 wrote:Interesting. Does anyone know why they would include security pins in a lockout lock. I my experience they usually aren't strong enough to be considered security they are just supposed to signal other people that the circuit is being worked on.

As for anyone removing someone else's lock that is usually dealt with informally but forcefully.

Actually, making these locks difficult to pick but not that strong physically makes perfect (well, good) sense.

The clue is in the name Safety locks.

Considering that these locks are not meant to protect valuable objects but to limit access to the control an industrial process they need not be physically strong. They mainly function as an audit device or to stop switches or valves being accidently activated.

If the locks are easy to pick then someone other than the key holder could open the lock and initiate or stop the protected process and no one would know.

In order to have unauthorized access to the switch or valve etc. the lock would have to be destroyed i.e. cut. It is then obvious that unauthorized access has been perpetrated (unless done by the key holder/s in order to cover up the access).

So there is no need for a physically strong lock, just one that is hard to pick or manipulate. That is probably why they dump the pins if turned too far - a trap for pickers not familiar with these locks. It is immediately apparent that the lock has been tampered with.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

escher7

Post Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 am

For those wanting a good explanation of the use of these padlocks see:
http://www.masterlocksafety.com/prod_support/choose.jsp

Particularly interesting is the fact that the shackles are deliberately non-hardened so they can be cut off easily. Thus, if a key is lost they can be easily cut off with bolt cutters (the "master key") to enable a power source for example, to be turned back on. These locks are clearly not meant to be high security. On the other hand they are not easily picked so that if someone opens them it would be by force and therefore easily detected.

Return to Lock Picking