FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New rake ideas?

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:24 pm

New rake ideas?

I've been sketching some rough rake ideas down on paper and was wondering if anyone's ever had any new idea's for the profile of a rake? (I'll improve my sketches and post them tomorrow!)

The city rake... could I presume that is kinda based on a `city` skyline?

That's the kind of thing I'm going for, natural shapes in the environment that would make a good, effective or fun looking rake.

Feel free to come up with some... new pick head shapes also?
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: New rake ideas?

i have found not to be afraid of going random...(with surprising results!)
as demo'd here
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Gelgg3uoY
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:39 pm

That's the type of thing I'm going for. I have called that same design the `soundwave` rake! (LOL)
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 am

Funny, this is exactly the rake I thought of when Wozzlock said soundwave. It is by no means a new design. It can be used to work on the same theory as a bumpkey, by raking it in and out of a lock bouncing tension you can trap pins above the shearline, or you could use it like this guy did and just place it in a lock with a similar biting to the shape. Just as effective. I like the idea of making new picks, and I have had success making rakes that are similar to key bitings that have been difficult for me in the past. Two of the most common key rakes are if you traced a line from the one pin to another it all the way down the key it would form a concave shape, the other exactly the opposite. I hope that's clear. Try it out, and see if you can't generate your own "cheat" rake. They can be highly effective. Just not very universal.

-Tooly
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:05 pm

I have finally got myself a vice, so I will be making a few and posting pics in the homebrew section or something. I must admit there are not a lot of variations I can think of and I know it's really technique and tension rather than the design of the rake.

It's just a bit of fun though!

Although... I had this mad idea and I know it's more a novelty than anything else, but say you took the letters in your/my name and kinda made a rake out of that! My name is Warren and with the right font and squashing the letters up a bit or laying them out vertically...

W
A
R
R
E
N

...well I wouldn't expect it to work as good as most rakes, but it would be fun and original and I wouldn't mind putting the work in. Just trying to think of appropriate words that would make a good un-even edge.

Too much time on my hands eh? (LOL)
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:50 pm

I don't say this often, but that is a really cool, artistic idea. My name would have 5 peaks if I laid one of the letters on it's side. Maybe not a good rake, but a damn fine idea and it would match the keychain my mommy bought me for my birthday. :mrgreen: I think I have to attempt a version of it based on concept alone. Thanks Wozzlock!

-Tooly
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 am

You are an evil genius Wozzlock. It is like a perfect random numbers generator making picks out of letters. I still don't have E, F, H, I, K, L, T, X , or Y figured out, but the rest are pretty much basically the same shapes with different interpretations. I think this was a fantastic idea and I couldn't help myself to kick it off last night. I hope you don't mind. Pretty much limited to words with less than 6 letters. Maybe 7, but I haven't drawn up that many designs yet. You rule! Check it out.
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=934
Now I just have to think up a good idea to share with everyone to make us square. Gonna be hard to match this one.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:41 pm

Aw shucks, thanks Tooly! I'm so glad you liked my idea.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm prolly gunna post a set of 100 rakes....

Paper clip rakes! :mrgreen: Maybe it'll spark some ideas!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:01 pm

i made this pick to look kinda like this peterson pick:

http://peterson-international.com/Indiv ... alquad.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

m0ose

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Nice pick man!

Oh, and I just found out that Peterson is like 45 minutes from me. :P I should go stalk their P.O. Box until the person comes in to check on it and then follow them to the factory. It'd be like Keylly Wonka. :P
<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 am

thanks, mo0se. :D

lol, yeah if only they had free samples at the factory. :mrgreen:

i'lll be making a camelback rake with a half diamond somewhere in the shaft, i could post a picture here.
<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:04 pm

m0ose wrote:Nice pick man!

Oh, and I just found out that Peterson is like 45 minutes from me. :P I should go stalk their P.O. Box until the person comes in to check on it and then follow them to the factory. It'd be like Keylly Wonka. :P

This, I support.

Return to Lock Picking