FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

American Lock, unknown model, can't be gutted?

<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 pm

American Lock, unknown model, can't be gutted?

[NOTE: If the pics are too big, let me know and I'll resize them again}

First the backstory...

I've been living at my current place for almost five years, now, and ever since (and even earlier, as this used to be my gradfather's house), I had seen this lock on the side of the house, just sitting there. Locked of course, but not securing anything except the ground wire it was attached to (which until now, I never really questioned). Also (as you'll see below), I had akways assumed it was super old and rusted over, due to it being outside in the elements for all these years. When I finally let my curiosity take over and I took a closer look at it, I saw that it was in actually quite good condition, and that it was an American lock. I'm still a beginner when I comes to picking, so sitting outside and trying forvever to get it off wasn't really an option. I talked to my grandfather, and he had no memory of the lock whatsoever, but allowed me to cut the ground wire in order to remove it, given that I then repair the wire afterward.

So here we are...

This is a recreated shot of how I had always seen it; you can see why I always thought it was just an old, corroded junker:

I've only had it in my hands for a couple of days (literally), now, and I've since managed to get it open (half-diamond to get what I think is a false-set, then rocking to get a full-set and open):

By the looks of things, it seems to have a removeale core:

But a closer look into the body reveals what looks like a rivet, rather than a screw of any sort (I hope I'm wrong):
-

I've tried all different sizes of hex keys, alan keys, etc., and I just can't seem to unscrew it, leaving me to believe that it really is a rivet in there. I'll try to do a quick video of it being picked open if I get the time. Thoughts/advice?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: American Lock, unknown model, can't be gutted?

Here is all the info you need.

PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Jeeze, I was afraid of this...

I don't have any of the tools needed to do this. But thank you for the video, nonetheless. :)

EDIT:

To my surprise, I actually DO have the tools needed (well, my father-in-law does, and uses our garage for storage). But drilling won't work for this particular lock, as the entire rivet just spins freely in place. :/

Back to the drawing board...
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 pm

FWIW, I have a couple of that exact same lock except they are badged as Master Locks. Got them cheap at Big Lots, there was no indication of a number like you would expect from Master. I believe mine have philips screws in them to retain the core.
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 pm

It sucks so hard, too! I finally get it open, thinking that I'll be able to gut my first lock, only to be greeted with the rivet instead. :( Well now that this lock too, has been conquered, time to go back to the Chateau C970 (wish me luck)...
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 am

You can try drilling out that thing on the front because that's what the rivet thing is screwing into. Then just get a screw and a replacement thing of the thingy you just drilled out.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:57 am

I've drilled out many of those rivets. They are pretty soft and come right out.
If you can't get it, you can send it my way and I will drill it and replace with a security nut and screw.

Jeff
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 am

Great info - provided here love kp ...so much help and great people !
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:12 am

hellslave wrote:....But drilling won't work for this particular lock, as the entire rivet just spins freely in place...

Try tapping that rivet with the appropriate sized center punch BEFORE drilling.
It MIGHT flare the rivet out enough to get a bite so it won't spin with the drill bit.

Maybe?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:40 pm

UPDATE!!!

I took your advice, Oldfast, and did exactly what you suggested, only with a Phillips instead of a punch. Results are below...

GUTTED!!!

These next two shots (no difference between them aside from lighting) are of how the keypins rest in the plug:

Driver-pins (1-5, front to back) resting in the... whatever that portion of the core is called:

Driver-pins again, reverse-order:

Driver/key pins in all their glory:

Core reassembled:

-

Considering that all ten pins have security measures in place, it really does make me wonder why this thing pops so easily. My guess is that because pins 1-3 are so shallow, just the angle of the pick alone, when setting pins 4 and 5, is enough to set those ones as well.

So having experienced all this for the first time, I'm left with one last question: are ALL pins this insanely small in size? My word, I was not expecting them to be that tiny!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm

hellslave wrote:UPDATE!!!

I took your advice, Oldfast, and did exactly what you suggested, only with a Phillips instead of a punch. Results are below...

Yeah!!!

hellslave wrote:Driver-pins (1-5, front to back) resting in the... whatever that portion of the core is called:

That part is called the bible. :)

hellslave wrote:So having experienced all this for the first time, I'm left with one last question: are ALL pins this insanely small in size? My word, I was not expecting them to be that tiny!

Master/American locks (and a number of padlocks) use pins this size. Most deadbolts use larger diameter pins. Medeco are larger yet. BiLock pins are almost ridiculous. Wise lock pins are simply humungous.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Nice job!!
Now you need the security nut and screw to put it all back together.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Eh, I'm not too concerned with putting it back together, to be honest.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 pm

I love the use of the pill container for the pins. Welcome to kp, good work.
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks. I was in a pinch for a quick and easy way to keep 'em organized, and that was the first thing that came to mind. Can't say I'll use it again, though; pain the butt getting the pins back out without tweezers.
Next

Return to Lock Picking