FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Security pins for practice locks

<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Security pins for practice locks

So I am starting to really grow my lock collection, and I am starting to run into more and more security pins. I have an Ultimate Challenge Lock that I used as a practice lock to really get the hang of spool pins and I got some pretty good results from that. I was wondering if anyone knew some good sources to get some other types of security pins that would fit this particular practice lock? Maybe some serrated, mushroom, barrel, or serrated spools? I did some digging on my own and I found locksmith rekeying kits that might have 100 serrated pins, stuff like that, but a large quantity like that just isn't necessary for my purpose. Anyone know of somewhere to get security pins like these on a smaller scale? Maybe 10 or so of each in varying lengths?
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Re: Security pins for practice locks

Make you own from regular pins you already have .
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Thats what I was considering doing, just wasn't sure how the feedback would be for the home made ones in comparison to the commercially availabe ones.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:42 pm

jupiter11d7 wrote:Thats what I was considering doing, just wasn't sure how the feedback would be for the home made ones in comparison to the commercially availabe ones.

There is no kit that I know of that has all the security pin types you listed. The LAB security pin kit has only spools :spool: and serrated :serrated: pins--no mushrooms, barrels, serrated spools etc. There would be a market for such a kit amongst hobbyists but no one has seized the opportunity.

If you use existing pins--which are either brass or nickel-silver--to make your security pins the feedback should be just the same as commercial security pins because those too are made from either brass or nickel-silver. You should buy a bag of the longest brass driver pins and use those to make the security pins. The alternative which would be even cheaper would be to buy brass rod and use that.

I'd be interested to see your results because I'm going to give security pin making a try also because I can't find mushroom pins :mush: anywhere (and I have noticed that some people mistakenly refer to spools :spool: as mushrooms :mush: ).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:10 pm

piotr wrote:
jupiter11d7 wrote:Thats what I was considering doing, just wasn't sure how the feedback would be for the home made ones in comparison to the commercially availabe ones.

There is no kit that I know of that has all the security pin types you listed. The LAB security pin kit has only spools :spool: and serrated :serrated: pins--no mushrooms, barrels, serrated spools etc. There would be a market for such a kit amongst hobbyists but no one has seized the opportunity.

If you use existing pins--which are either brass or nickel-silver--to make your security pins the feedback should be just the same as commercial security pins because those too are made from either brass or nickel-silver. You should buy a bag of the longest brass driver pins and use those to make the security pins. The alternative which would be even cheaper would be to buy brass rod and use that.

I'd be interested to see your results because I'm going to give security pin making a try also because I can't find mushroom pins :mush: anywhere (and I have noticed that some people mistakenly refer to spools :spool: as mushrooms :mush: ).

You can find mushroom pins in Medeco locks. Unfortunately, they only fit in other Medeco locks. Some of the old Yale locks have true mushroom pins, too. Better yet, some of the old Yales even have serrated mushroom pins!

The picture is a little out of focus, but all the driver pins are serrated mushroom pins. Due to focus issues, only the one on the right really shows it, though.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:25 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:You can find mushroom pins in Medeco locks. Unfortunately, they only fit in other Medeco locks.

:(

Some of the old Yale locks have true mushroom pins, too. Better yet, some of the old Yales even have serrated mushroom pins!

Cool!
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am

Ok, I think I will get a small rekeying kit of brass pins, just to remove the extra steps of getting the correct thickness of brass rods and cutting them. I'm going to try to put the pins in a drill or Dremel (probably the Dremel) and mount that in my vice, get it spinning at a reasonable speed and take a thin file to it. I think this would work in a similar way to making wooden spindles on a lathe, which I have some past experience with. If it works out I will post some pictures of the finished product.

edit: I found a video doing exactly what I had in mind. If anyone else would be interested in trying something like this, here is a good guide thanks to bosnianbill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9i_IVrltsc
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:15 pm

So this thread inspired me to FINALLY give this a go. And what pins did I use?
Well, the piece of shit lock that needs them most of course.... KWIKSET! lol

So I haven't tested any of these. Odds are some of these designs look better than they are effective.
But being my first time, I just used some various files and rolled with whatever patterns came to mind.
Not sure why I waited so long to try this! Turned out to be pretty fun and really doesn't take very long.

As suggested, I used a dremel held in a vice. Biggest problem I encountered was getting the pin to spin 'true'.
If the pin is not fastened in at least fairly straight, too much wobble occurs and things don't turn out too well.
And Jupiter, do use some eye wear, eh? More than once I had a pin shoot across the room. lol
Had it been lodged in my eyeball, I wouldn't have to look too far to find where it went.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Those look great for a first try.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Those look incredible! I can only imagine some of the nasty tricks they could play, especially in an innocent looking KWIKSET. I agree with the eye protection suggestion, I enjoy having two functional eyes and making home made security pins does not seem like a very exciting war story to explain how I lost one haha.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Oldfast, those are some EVIL looking pins. :whip:

Your one clever puppy. :D

Looking forward to hearing which ones are the MOST evil.

I particularly like the "tow ball"

Maybe you could patent those designs and retire rich. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Have had fun making security pins, too. Those look fantastic, Oldfast.

One tip I saw elsewhere was to use an old plug when making these. Use a short pin to hold the pin you are cutting at the proper height. Then the pin can spin freely as you hold it to the dremel. This allows easy, accurate cuts on the pin. You can keep a finger lightly on the top of the pin you are cutting if you want to keep it from creeping up. Then if you make a mistake, you can go creeping up to the emergency room.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:57 am

Nice pins!
Now go get a Titan 6 pin kwikset cylinder and put all the security pins in it.
That should be some fun picking. :smile:

Be sure to post the video.

Love the trailer hitch pin.
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:19 am

Neilau wrote:....Your one clever puppy. :D
haha! Not really. I just follow in other peoples' footsteps like a little puppy :)

Gordon.... could you elaborate? I can't picture it. Are you still using the dremel to hold/spin the pin, and files to cut it?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm

The plug holds the pin. Then use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the grooves. The spinning cutoff wheel will also spin the pins as it cuts.

Gordon
Next

Return to Lock Picking