FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Abus Titalium Series

<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Abus Titalium Series

Just got an Abus Titalium 80TI/50 off of Amazon for a pretty good deal.
I Know this particular model contains 6 pins, and is rated a level 6 security lock. I believe the highest rated lock in this series is the 90RK/50 which is rated a level 8. From what I have seen this lock normally has 5 security pins of the 6 drivers and all standard key pins. I have read a good bit about these locks and watched a few videos, but I have gathered a lot of mixed information about the pins. One video claims it to be full of mushrooms, one a combination of spools and mushrooms. I also saw two videos where the lock was actually gutted. In the first video, it was 5 spools 1 weakly serrated. In the second video there were 4 spools, 1 weakly serrated, and one which the maker of the video referred to as an "anti bump" pin. The anti bump pin looked like a regular mushroom, so I am guessing they could just be interchangeable terms? This pin looked out of place though, it looked like a standard brass pin and all the others appeared to be nickle or chromium plated. So I am not sure if that particular pin came standard of if the lock was modified.

Have any of you had some experience with these locks? Specifically the 80TI, but I would love to hear more about the Titaliums in general. If so, any comments in regard to what I could expect to encounter inside this lock?
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Abus Titalium Series

All the ABUSes I have encountered have all had about the same pin layout. One double serrated driver, the rest are spools. A dimple key model I have is all spools though. Be prepared to reset those spools, often many times over. You think everything is in the right order, but you go to the next pin and the previous spool resets. Set those two and after the third, the first one resets again, and so on. That is what makes ABUS fun! Even after all other spools are trivial they can still be tricky.

Oh, and i think those security levels are more about physical resistance, kinda like lock grades. The Titalium series appears to be a marketing measure to get people used to the idea that aluminum alloys are as good as brass, which they are for most purposes. Other than the branding they appear to be identical to the older models.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Yea I really enjoy picking the Abus that I have now, its a 55/40 so I wanted to get something that would be more of a challenge. The spools are really fun though!
Oh, and i think those security levels are more about physical resistance

That makes sense, that would explain why the 90RK with the integrated shackle guard is given an 8 but still has the same layout internally. I wasn't sure if the security levels were determined from just the resistance to physical force or if pick resistance was taken into consideration also.
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:44 pm

I've been eyeballing a couple different TI models on Amazon lately; just need to save up enough Bing reward points for 'em! Which model would you guys recomend for someone whose just starting out, like myself?
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:56 pm

The 54TI or 64TI would probably be the easiest of the Titalium series. They are 5 pin models, good if you have had some experience with spool pins already. If not, check out the Abus 55 or a Master 140 first. They are both 4 pin locks, easier to start learning on.

Return to Lock Picking