FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking a warded? lock

<<

cohibasiglotwo

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 am

Picking a warded? lock

Hello everyone. Lock picking is a skill I had to learn due to the nature of my work, I seldom use it though. Well, we never had to learn how to pick these: http://www.vovko.si/thumbs/216x170/vseb ... uminij.jpg

I lost the key to my cabinet room which I always lock. I do have a spare key inside the cabinet so I would rather not break down the door. Is there a non-destructive way of getting in, like picking the lock or making a bump key?

Thanks
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Picking a warded? lock

I might try using a Keedex Under the Door Lever Tool. :smile:
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

That would be called a mortise lock rather than a warded lock. It could be picked, with the right tools and experience. It couldn't be bumped. I think you should call a locksmith.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 am

Found a quick vid.
check it out:
http://youtu.be/zOQsAnJ0uk4
<<

cohibasiglotwo

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks jharvee, I'm familiar with this technique, alas it will not work on my locked doors as there is still a key needed.
<<

houdini1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:36 pm

depending if it is 2 or 3 lever you can get try out keys to open
<<

cohibasiglotwo

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I may try that, thanks.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:47 pm

you will require a locksmith as lever picking is a skill and requires many years of practise and the the right tools

common locks used on office and cupboard doors are the 2 - 3 lever type ! because the doors are generally not as thick compared to exterior doors

if the door was hung opening outwards giving you access to the hinges I would suggest knocking the hinge pins out a ... clever way around locks
<<

escher7

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 am

Are those screws exposed on the outside?
Also, if the bolt has an angle facing outward and there is no anti-shim protection you might be able to shim it.
I was unable to find your exact lock but most of the similar modern mortise style locks with lever mechanisms have pretty secure bolt designs and if yours requires the key to actually be in the lock before the bolt can be withdrawn or the handle turned then you are probably screwed. Only a locksmith adept at picking lever locks (and not all are), can help. Better pictures of the bolt. (on another door of course) might help.
<<

Deadlock

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Just as a point of information, that's a catalogue picture, titled, ''Aluminium interior door handle unit.''
<<

cohibasiglotwo

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Yes, that is not the photo of my lock, I found it on the internet as it's very similar to the doors to my cabinet. There are no screws exposed. What about these so called skeleton keys?
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 am

cohibasiglotwo wrote:Yes, that is not the photo of my lock, I found it on the internet as it's very similar to the doors to my cabinet. There are no screws exposed. What about these so called skeleton keys?

Keys for older warded locks are sometimes called skeleton key. There is information on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key

If it is a warded lock, you can use a wire bent into an L shape to try to pick it. Youtube warded lock picking. If it's a lever lock then you need two tools. One to tension the bolt, and one to lift the levers. As was said before, this is not easy, especially if you are new to lock picking and don't understand how the lock works. As was mentioned before, it would be a relatively simple job for a locksmith and cheaper than damaging your cabinet.
<<

cohibasiglotwo

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the help. I used a glass cutter and broke into my cabinet through a window. My buddy is a glazier and simply replacing the glass pane was the most economic option.
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

cohibasiglotwo wrote:Thanks for all the help. I used a glass cutter and broke into my cabinet through a window. My buddy is a glazier and simply replacing the glass pane was the most economic option.

Thanks for the follow up.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Well now that were inside..................lets have a look at that lock. Oh Yeah, I mean from the inside out.
You know if it happened once it could happen again.
Maybe a spare copy of the key outside the cabinet.

Glad you're in. :smile:
Next

Return to Lock Picking