FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale 850 padlock - Curiously Different

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 am

Yale 850 padlock - Curiously Different

I had a new Yale 850 arrive in the mail this morning. Love it when Mr. Postie does that :D

Me being more that a bit of a brass addict just couldn't resist having one. I had it with cornflakes and coffee:

zOWx70w.jpg

But the thing is, it's not exactly what I was expecting. Then I got thinking that you guys could possibly shed some light on it.

So, what I was expecting to turn up was a 6 pin rekeyable as a number of references state including Yale's bla on it. See here and here and here

But what I actually got was this, and while there is a drill plate on the base, there is no retaining screw in the shackle seat. So, that's the end of it being rekeyable from that point of view. And this is most definitely 5 pin.

IMpu9PS.jpg

K9xmMOa.jpg

Zrj186U.jpg

9QnXaLm.jpg

dqgczjG.jpg

I'm not sorry I got it since it's a really nice pick, but I'm curious why in the hell it differs so from the Yale description.

Any ideas, guys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Yale 850 padlock - Curiously Different

Does the pin plunge in when the key is rotated to a certain point? Maybe the plug has to be rotated counterclockwise with a special key. The lock body looks like it has been stamped in a special way to retain the pin from coming out, but allowing it to move in.
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 am

Complete guess but it looks like the retaining screw is under the portion of the shackle that rotates. Maybe you need to loosen the set screw on the side of the body and remove the entire shackle? Again just a guess as I know nothing of the lock and only going off the photos.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am

Presumedsublime wrote:Complete guess but it looks like the retaining screw is under the portion of the shackle that rotates. Maybe you need to loosen the set screw on the side of the body and remove the entire shackle? Again just a guess as I know nothing of the lock and only going off the photos.

Yep. Spot on! That's exactly it. And bloody obvious now you've said it :D I'll do some disassembly pics in a while.

Many thanks.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 am

You can try this method:

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 am

PLEASE DO NOT!! ^^
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:44 pm

First 20 seconds I see a cheap ol' Master Lock, and I just know from then on it's gonna get ugly :D Thanks Gordon, my friend ..... but ..... errrr ..... I'll give that one a miss :D :D I went for Presumedsublime's idea and had a little play:

DSCN1796.JPG

After a #2 hex wrench and a phillips head screw driver - Bob's yer Uncle as we say on this side of the pond:
DSCN1814.JPG

Stack 6 is empty, but no worries to rekey to 6. Please note that in the above pic that the spring is in the wrong position. It should be in between the core and the actuator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MrAnybody on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the breakdown. From the outside, it looks like the 840/850s I have here, those are pinned together and are not fun to take apart. See here: http://www.uklocksport.co.uk/index.php/ ... 305.0.html
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

ghost1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Very nice post as usual MrAnybody always interesting to see variations of designs i may have to acquire one in the very near future ohh so shiny.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for the gut shots, MrA. Oldfast should be happy, too. :twisted: Appreciate the update, and showing us how it works. :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Lock Picking