FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lockpicking in Movies

<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: Lockpicking in Movies

First movie I saw REAL lock picking (proper technique) China Town with Jack Nicholson. Up to that point I don't believe it was available for public consumption. In real experience I will never get over that folks consider this skill a "black art" and practitioners akin to scorcers! LOL That is the reason for the inane comments and observations. People have no point of reference for it. It's been that way since way before me, and will be that way after me!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

mastersmith wrote:First movie I saw REAL lock picking (proper technique) China Town with Jack Nicholson. Up to that point I don't believe it was available for public consumption. In real experience I will never get over that folks consider this skill a "black art" and practitioners akin to scorcers! LOL That is the reason for the inane comments and observations. People have no point of reference for it. It's been that way since way before me, and will be that way after me!

I love that reaction. I haven't had anyone tell me outright that I can't pick locks, but they give me that look and I know what they are thinking.

The same look I got when with my son we made our own telescope, including grinding our own mirror and making browns gas/hydrogen/oxygen from tap water on the counter at work with a couple of kitchen forks and a 6 volt lantern battery.

Even when you show some people they still don't believe it is possible.

You can do anything with the right information and the willingness to learn.

Too many people live there lives too scared to try something new.
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59 pm

First time i remember seeing any kind of lock picking done rite was in the anime durarara where she uses a EZ pick gun a tension wrench and actually tries about ten times before she gets it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 pm

American Horror Story. Looks like maybe a Peterson DCAP in the top and another pick in the bottom. Looks like the lock doesn't even have pins in it.

ahs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Look at the bend on that thing! haha! Good stuff man.

Shit Xeo, she looks like she's even harder on her picks than you are! LOL
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 pm

The movie "Murder of Crows" shows a bonafide demonstration of lockpicking. Also, Alec Baldwin tries to open a door without a key by melting the entire lock assembly off the door using an exothermic torch in the movie "Thick as Thieves." :ugeek:
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Here's another one for your pleasure. Looks like they did this one properly with an electric pick gun and a tensioner.

Enemy of the State (1998)

1.png

2.png
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Neilau

Post Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Russell Crow in the movie The Next Three Days, trying to get his wife out of prison, goes onto the interweb and first makes a bump key. After a bit of practice at home he takes it to the prison but breaks it off in the lock and gets busted.

BUT

He does open a van door with a tennis ball with a hole in it !!!!!!

Ironic that the one method that would probably work (though I doubt it would work on a lock in a prison) fails and the totally bogus “tennis ball” works -- several times.

:rofl: :rofl:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 pm

xeo wrote:Here's another one for your pleasure. Looks like they did this one properly with an electric pick gun and a tensioner.

Enemy of the State (1998)

1.png

2.png

Enemy of the state was one of the most underrated movies ever. I loved that movie.
<<

Mcof

Post Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 am

Here's an obscure one, the burglars in Survive Style 5+

<<

Neilau

Post Fri May 23, 2014 4:58 am

Priceless !!!!!!

I just wave a stick at a lock and say "Alo Humora". :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am

Just watched The Raid Redemption and they used lockpicks to enter the drug lords building. Had both a pick and tension wrench too! Took about 5 seconds or so to open which is around the right time for a crappy kwikset like lock.
Screen shot 2014-05-23 at 10.03.12 AM.png
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri May 23, 2014 8:27 am

Gregted wrote:
mastersmith wrote:First movie I saw REAL lock picking (proper technique) China Town with Jack Nicholson. Up to that point I don't believe it was available for public consumption. In real experience I will never get over that folks consider this skill a "black art" and practitioners akin to scorcers! LOL That is the reason for the inane comments and observations. People have no point of reference for it. It's been that way since way before me, and will be that way after me!

I love that reaction. I haven't had anyone tell me outright that I can't pick locks, but they give me that look and I know what they are thinking.

The same look I got when with my son we made our own telescope, including grinding our own mirror and making browns gas/hydrogen/oxygen from tap water on the counter at work with a couple of kitchen forks and a 6 volt lantern battery.

Even when you show some people they still don't believe it is possible.

You can do anything with the right information and the willingness to learn.

Too many people live there lives too scared to try something new.

Aint that the truth?! The amount of new skills I have picked up in the last five years or so from getting the information of the internet and actually having a go is just astounding. Whilst I am no expert in any of these fields, I have learned a lot. So we have plastering, bricklaying, tiling, drywalling, plumbing, electronics/PCB design/fabrication, IC comms, machining, brazing, forging/mold making, more recently I am learning about heat treating/tempering metal too...the list just keeps going.

I tell you what drove me into learning new stuff. I got this house I'm in now and it drove me freaking insane when I would pay 'tradesmen' a small bloody fortune to do half arsed jobs. People used to say "oh, plastering, that's an art, you can't do it". So I'd think, well all the 'artist' plasterers on the planet had to learn, right? How hard can it bloody be? Well the answer is that it IS quite hard BUT within the reach of everybody if they just try it and practise a little.

So now I do all my own work on the house because only I know how pedantic I want the level of workmanship to be. Plus it is free and if there is something I do not know I will go find out.

All through the magic of the internet. Just like how you're reading this!
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 23, 2014 8:41 am

My buddies and me were watching enemy of the state about a month ago. If I remember correctly there are 3 lock picking scenes. EVERY one, all my friends slowly looked over at me, almost as if to get my 'approval' as to whether or not it would work.
<<

Svenito

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:54 am

UnlockD wrote:My buddies and me were watching enemy of the state about a month ago. If I remember correctly there are 3 lock picking scenes. EVERY one, all my friends slowly looked over at me, almost as if to get my 'approval' as to whether or not it would work.

As a programmer with an interest in all forms of security and its circumvention, I get that same reaction whenever there's some sort of 'hacking' or other computer tech happening in movies.

Most of the time I get why they make it simple in the movie, it's boring to watch a movie if the task were carried out in realtime. So I am willing to forgive _some_ shortcuts and fibs. But some times they go too far, and I just have to have a moan
PreviousNext

Return to Lock Picking