FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Type of lock (century)

<<

scudo

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 am

Type of lock (century)

I think this will be beyond my 4 days experience but would be interested if anyone can offer some guidance for later days.

The lock doesnt stay in the open position (the latch/bolt always springs to what would be the locked position) the key to unlock can be turned either way. The triangular spring loaded bolt/latch can be pushed in without the key. My first thoughts are which way would it be tensioned clock or anti clockwise.

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 am

Re: Type of lock (century)

For sure, try both clockwise and counter clockwise. And experiment with the minimum tension needed to find a pin that binds. Experimenting with tension will go a long way, along with using a tension tool that fits snug and trying both TOK and BOK. That includes putting full tension on and releasing tension in a controlled way as you apply pressure to a binding pin.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:12 am

If it opens with either rotation, it doesn't matter much which way you pick it. But for me, the general rule is to turn away from the bolt so in this case clockwise. That's how deadbolts on doors work, always pick them open by turning away from the bolt. If it's on the left side of the door then the bolt is on the left too so turn clockwise. WIth this keyway there's not too much room at the bottom of the keyway so I would use top tension. Also, the squiggly shape at the top of the keyway makes it easiest to tension with clockwise top tension for me at least! Good luck!
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:11 am

It appears to be some kind of drawer lock and insecure since the bolt is a snap bolt, not a deadlock so that could be pushed down with a thin tool

the cylinder really looks like a corbin, especially the oval that says century, looks so much like a corbin logo. Is it an old lock or relatively new from the look of it?
<<

scudo

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:43 am

I believe Century was an English manufacturer, the lock although unused could be years old as it came from a now unused royal mail/post office building in the UK, this was just some `junk` that was left behind. I am sure at the time (a couple of years back) I got 3 locks so must try and find the others.

Return to Lock Picking