FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help save my ego :-(

<<

scudo

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Help save my ego :-(

Ok so I am only a couple of weeks in to this and boasting to my wife about the 4 locks so far that I have picked. Then she comes home with what must be cheaper than the cheapest lock I have ever seen. Yes you have guessed.. she said you aint getting the key go pick it!

Honestly I should have even with my limited experience done this in 2 minutes , but the damn thing has defeated me so far. Hell a pair of scissors would cut this thing open.
I cant find anything to push, press or manipulate inside the lock.
Other problem is I cant get a tension bar to stay located.

Help me please, I am being ridiculed to the Nth degree on this. (pic attached)

IMG_7588.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: Help save my ego :-(

Take a paperclip, bend a small bend on the end. Jam it inside and try turning it around sporadically. It could be one of those warded locks where there is just one small tab that moves inside to pop the shackle. That doesn't look like a pin tumbler.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

ghost1

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Thats a warded lock you need a skeleton key those ones usually need the one with a sort of square c on the end to slip past the wards and throw the shackle .
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Xeo is right, it is not a pin tumbler. It will have some kind of latch that you have to move.

You could always go and buy another one, break it apart with a screw driver and see how it works.

I always helps to know what is inside a lock before you attempt to open it. That's why people do cutaways etc.

Ive cut up quite a few locks to see what's inside.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm

You can also stick a small screw drive in and turn, that works too!
<<

scudo

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Daggers you were spot on 1 second with a screwdriver and done it 5 times in 2 minutes. Now I am frustrated as I still dont understand how I am doing it....if that makes sense!
<<

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 pm

The wards are there so you can't open the lock with the wrong key.. No real protection from the wrong OBJECT though :)
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm

scudo wrote:Daggers you were spot on 1 second with a screwdriver and done it 5 times in 2 minutes. Now I am frustrated as I still dont understand how I am doing it....if that makes sense!

It's the same one as in the pic and that key opens them all. All the lock is, is a spring that looks like a sideways U holding the shackle in place. The screwdriver opens the "U" wider and thus releases the shackle. If you stick a slightly bigger screwdriver in only a little tiny bit and turn it, the two halves of the lock will pop apart and you can study the insides :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Scudo, wards are nothing more than barriers in the lock. The proper key has all the blade removed where it needs to bypass a ward. Arranging the wards in different locations within the lock allows for different combinations. Also in the lock is one or more levers that actually open the lock (usually near the tip of the key on these cheap locks). Leaving the key blade uncut here allows the keys to work the lever. This is a luggage lock, sold with suitcases for years. They are nearly all the same, millions of them out there with one combination! Warded picks work by removing ALL of the blade except where the lever is, thus bypassing all of the wards.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

scudo

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks for that Daggers, when my wife eats humble pie I will then destruct the lock for educational purposes.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Those locks used to be popular for suitcases.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 am

Love it ! brilliant scudo made my day and Gordon the key does remind me of a suitcase key
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 am

My go-to pick for these luggage padlocks is a single ball pick. It doesn't look like they make it anymore, but it is just like the double ball pick at the top of this page: http://www.hpcworld.com/px/picks/spring ... index.html

If you have an extra one of these laying around, just cut off the smaller ball on the end. You'll find the width of the larger ball is just right for tripping the spring catch inside the small lock.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 am

magician59 wrote:My go-to pick for these luggage padlocks is a single ball pick. It doesn't look like they make it anymore, but it is just like the double ball pick at the top of this page: http://www.hpcworld.com/px/picks/spring ... index.html

If you have an extra one of these laying around, just cut off the smaller ball on the end. You'll find the width of the larger ball is just right for tripping the spring catch inside the small lock.

Yeah they are still made.
http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-To ... XS-14.html

Return to Lock Picking