FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Forked tensioners

<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Forked tensioners

Wanted to get a "feel" for people's opinion on using the forked tensioners. Does anyone use these,and do you find them effective? Also,what is a good brand,and where do you get them from. TIA
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Forked tensioners

Find them usefull on dual-sided wafer locks. Where did the one currently residing in my pick kit come from??? It came from - get this - Walmart!!!

They actually sell them through their online store. No normal tension wrenches, no lock picks. But forked tension wrenches? Why not?

Gordon

P.S. The Walmart above is a hot link to the tension wrenches.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Now that is very strange indeed. Clearly walmart has no idea what it is used for they must think it is some kind of spanner wrench I guess.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

escher7

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:56 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Find them usefull on dual-sided wafer locks. Where did the one currently residing in my pick kit come from??? It came from - get this - Walmart!!!

They actually sell them through their online store. No normal tension wrenches, no lock picks. But forked tension wrenches? Why not?

Gordon

If you click on similar products there are a mess of slim jims, wedges etc. Obviously the supplier makes this as a tension tool for car wafers, but you are correct, they don't sell picks so the tool is kind of useless by itself. Weird.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Find them usefull on dual-sided wafer locks. Where did the one currently residing in my pick kit come from??? It came from - get this - Walmart!!!

Gordon

Thanks again for your help,Gordon. I'm somewhat confused.I've seen other places that sell similar products,but I couldn't figure out if these type wrenches spread out to form a "Y" because there is usually just the one picture with no explanation. So I guess I'm asking if they do indeed spread out.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:51 am

So after doing a quadruple take on Gordon's post about Walmart selling tension tools, I clicked the link and wow, they do. I've used these before and they are horrible, stay away! They slide out of the lock and like explode into your face!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:20 am

I don't use them very often at all but, I have used them on cars. The walmart version above isn't my favorite but, this is effective:

http://www.bumpmylock.com/2-pc-automotive-tension-wrench-set.html

I have also used them on the American H10 double sided wafer padlocks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mycatispunk/871343861/
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

mseifert

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:45 am

Wal-Mart online has become a lot like Amazon in that they will drop ship stuff from vendors.. You will notice that it shows "sold and shipped by toolking.com"
When I finally leave this world.. Will someone please tell my wife what I have REALLY spent on locks ...
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Walmart?!!! haaaAAAA! That's just too funny.

Yeah, fairly cumbersome and not all too diverse.... but they do have their uses.
I find them quite handy for picking the wafer locks found on trailers and motorhomes.
They wedge/hold open the protective flap nicely, and apply even tension to the core.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Oldfast wrote:Walmart?!!! haaaAAAA! That's just too funny.

Yeah, fairly cumbersome and not all too diverse.... but they do have their uses.
I find them quite handy for picking the wafer locks found on trailers and motorhomes.
They wedge/hold open the protective flap nicely, and apply even tension to the core.

I was just thinking that they would apply equal tension to the whole core,that's really what this post was all about.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 am

Strange. Walmart has picks too! Threw me off.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lock-Technolo ... d/29756844
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 am

No kidding!!! :shock:

The wafer lock automotive 'rocker' picks. :-) Have that same kit - it was in a pick/bypass/DE set I purchased a while back. Bet Wally-World would get those off their site double quick if they found out they had them listed. Fewer and fewer cars using full wafers, but they do exist.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 pm

We use them all the time in our shop. Mostly on wafer locks such as motorcycle gas caps, gas caps, cabinet locks, sentry safe type boxes ect...
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 pm

The cheapo ones that apparently Wallmart of all places has, is completely beyond a doubt WORTHLESS. If someone uses them and they find it helpful, good for them, I still think they are crap.

On the other hand, there are some very good ones, but they are hard to find. For example this one looks ok http://www.americankeysupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=413. Lockmasters use to have a set of 4 very nice ones, I have them and use them everyday. Granted, every single one of them needed some modifications to truly be useful. What I think the reason they don't have them anymore is probably because many (most) locksmiths have no clue how to use them anywhere near their full potential. Those tension wrenches are THE reason I don't have or need many Lishi picks.

Return to Lock Picking