FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can bumping a Kwikset be slowed or stopped?

<<

Maxlox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

Can bumping a Kwikset be slowed or stopped?

Is there anything that can be done to slow down a bump attack on a kwikset lock? I have some elderly friends that have Kwikset locks; someone told them about lock bumping now they are worried someone is going to bump their locks. I tried to tell them the chance of someone bumping their locks is slim and a criminal would most likely break the glass next in the door and reach through and open it, but they want me to look into it. So is there any aftermarket solution that you guys know of to stop bumping a Kwikset?
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 am

Re: Can bumping a Kwikset be slowed or stopped?

These people need education and real security, not some bullshit bump proof door cylinder.

You could put in stronger springs and security pins which would frustrate bumping attempts but it wouldn't make it impossible. Bumping isn't as easy as the media would have people believe (surprise, surprise) and it sure as fuck isn't an epidemic. Criminals will stick to what they know as tried and tested, it hasn't made anyone's life any easier or given rise to a new wave of bad guys or some shit. It's much easier, faster and more guaranteed to simply break or jimmy a window, or pop the cylinder out of the knob. And if there's no deadbolt, it can be slipped as well.

I know how the elderly can be, but besides putting in all-new (and expensive) hardware there is no guaranteed bump-proof solution. And it's a solution they don't even need. Get some reinforcements for the inside of the door, so that when they're home - which will be the majority of the time - it won't be possible to open the door from the outside without using brute force and making a significant amount of noise. You could replace the glass with wire glass to avoid the break-and-reach-through method if you really want but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary.

They're probably not gonna get broken into anyway; the elderly are more at risk from daylight robbery from fake servicemen and the like. Teach them to always check for ID and call the company to verify who the person is before they let them in etc. No matter how pleasant and clean they are. That, along with a good security chain and a couple of sliding bolts at the top and bottom of the door (top and middle would be better for the elderly come to think of it), and some additional window security should be sufficient. You could put in a viewer in the door as well if they like.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Solomon gave some good advice there.

However if that isn't enough to make them feel safe, you could always replace their locks with Kwikset SmartKey locks. Not terribly expensive, and unbumpable. Unfortunately they are vulnerable to a couple of forced entry methods that wouldn't affect their current locks. It's a trade-off.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm not in the US, so I can't know prices (although I believe it's not expensive)...

The Schlage Everest. It is bumpable, but only someone really prepared for it would succeed, as it would need a bumpkey with the sidepin profile.
It's also immune to the attack on the Kwikset Smartkey and, in a general way, a nice lock.

Or you can go with a Medeco! If you tell them it's the locks used on the White House and only cost 50 bucks, it's guaranteed they'll get it :mrgreen:

would like to know how it turned out to be!

P.S. - What do you guys thing about what I said on the Everest? AM I'm saying a lot of :bs: ?
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Don't forget that having a high security bump proof lock isn't going to do a whole lot of good if there is glass in or around the door itself.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Maxlox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I suggested new locks but the front door has an odd spacing on the handle set so it’s going to be difficult to find a replacement it is a nice solid wood door with a stained glass in it, he doesn’t want to have the door sanded down or re stained. The back door has a very weathered lock that’s about worn out so I’m going to replace it and install a deadbolt, but he doesn’t want me to change the front door hardware.
The bottom line is I’m not charging them and I don’t feel that they are at risk, our town is pretty good and they live in a very quiet retirement community. But he is dying and just wants to feel like his wife is going to be safe from all the boogie men that run around with bump keys when he is gone. What do you say to him? I told him he shouldn’t worry about that because if someone is going to break in to a house they aren’t going to be using a bump key maybe a rock through a window or an unlocked door but not a bump key! And that the anti bump locks you were told about were not bump proof simply bump resistant. So where can I get stronger springs?
I called Clark and Flake but neither one knew of any stiffer springs I could get. I think if I can find the springs I will get them and between that and some security pins I think he will feel better and at this point I really think that’s all he needs.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:04 pm

This might sound strange, but the cheapest disposable lighters I can find around here have springs in them that are pretty stiff, and the right width.
<<

Maxlox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Thank you for the tip Gringo but i found a product called Bump halt by Ilco. I just got off the phone with Clark and they ordered me a couple kits. Thanks for the help guys i really think this is unneeded but it will put his mind at ease.
<<

Lauren

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I agree that lock bumping has been over marketed. In fact, it makes me wonder who the real winner here is. The probability that anyone gets bumped is highly unlikely. The You Tube sensation was making You Tube money (with advertising) and it made Kwikset (a Black and Decker Co.) money with the consumer. This entire bumping discussion reads like a very controlled commercial to sell more locks, and the locksmith to do more service calls with an inferior product, and the locksmith tool manufacturers to sell more tools. The food chain couldn't be more happier. This has been the evolution of most every security product ever made.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Lauren wrote:I agree that lock bumping has been over marketed. In fact, it makes me wonder who the real winner here is. The probability that anyone gets bumped is highly unlikely. The You Tube sensation was making You Tube money (with advertising) and it made Kwikset (a Black and Decker Co.) money with the consumer. This entire bumping discussion reads like a very controlled commercial to sell more locks, and the locksmith to do more service calls with an inferior product, and the locksmith tool manufacturers to sell more tools. The food chain couldn't be more happier. This has been the evolution of most every security product ever made.

In the Phoenix area I've pulled broken bump keys out of locks before. It's by no means an epidemic but it's certainly not unheard of. There are a lot of unsavory "locksmiths" in this town and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are selling the bump keys and making a buck.
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 pm

An old trick I used is the a block across the keyway method.
Let me explain.

-Take a plug of virtually any keyway.
-At the bottom of the keyway, between the last and second last pin, cut a notch with a saw.
-In that notch, insert a piece of metal like: broken saw blade, pick material, wiper insert...
-File the piece to follow the plug contour and stake/peen over.
-File the bottom of a key blank to get passed the "block" and cut the shoulder off.

Now you have a key that tip stops "a la Best", any unmodified key blanks and bump keys will hit the "block"
and wont even touch the last pin. An unsuspecting "bump key attacker" will be at a loss...It'll also "dupe" many key cutters like the big box stores and the local hardware shops from cutting them, they wont even know what blank to use.

M.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 am

Altashot wrote:An old trick I used is the a block across the keyway method.
Let me explain.

-Take a plug of virtually any keyway.
-At the bottom of the keyway, between the last and second last pin, cut a notch with a saw.
-In that notch, insert a piece of metal like: broken saw blade, pick material, wiper insert...
-File the piece to follow the plug contour and stake/peen over.
-File the bottom of a key blank to get passed the "block" and cut the shoulder off.

Now you have a key that tip stops "a la Best", any unmodified key blanks and bump keys will hit the "block"
and wont even touch the last pin. An unsuspecting "bump key attacker" will be at a loss...It'll also "dupe" many key cutters like the big box stores and the local hardware shops from cutting them, they wont even know what blank to use.

M.

That is an outstanding idea.
Thank you.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am

Indeed! Very nice.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am

Interesting solution with modifying the plug however this doesn't tackle the major issue. It just provides a headache for the home owner who has no clue their lock was modified and needs special skills to duplicate a key. What happens if the metal fragment comes loose and renders the lock useless? If the "locksmith" dies in a trainwreck and there is nobody left who knows the lock was modified? Time to drill the lock out. Kwikset is pure garbage. Even if you did modify the plug it can be picked extremely fast. How is the door? Can it be kicked in? Wooden door frame with an "ANSI Grade 1 Deadbolt"? Chances are the door can be kicked in or bodyslammed. How about nearby windows are they security filmed? Focusing on bumping alone isn't really a wise move as you should consider every security element.

Bump proof? ASSA Twin / Abloy. Pay the money for the security. Buy a metal door with a metal door frame secured to the foundation of the house. Then security film your windows, add an alarm system with CCTVs and motion sensors, buy a couple of mean dogs then buy a few shotguns and pistols. Even with all of that someone will still break into your house if they really wanted to. :armed:
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:26 am

xeo wrote:buy a few shotguns and pistols. Even with all of that someone will still break into your house if they really wanted to. :armed:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
Next

Return to Lock Picking