FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Are tension wrenches and picks "handed"??

<<

bmc1284

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Are tension wrenches and picks "handed"??

As I'm sitting here with my Ultimate Challenge Lock, I am wondering if tension wrenches especially are 'Handed". I pick with my left and tension with my right, and I'm using a twist-flex type (is that what it's called?). I notice that the "twist" is clockwise, which puts the top finger (I use TOK) at the 10:00 rather than 12:00 position.

Is this an issue, or have I had too much sleep deprivation from fighting spool pins? :shock:
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: Are tension wrenches and picks "handed"??

The only handedness you'll find is on padlocks that only open clockwise. It is very awkward for left handed pickers. I just hold the padlock with the keyway upside down or I'll put in the tensioner on TOK and pull on it to the right with my index finger.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 pm

And a corollary to Xeo's point is that righties have trouble picking CCW, or at least I do. I confess to some arthritis from my karate days which makes it even harder. I often have to give the poor hands a rest after about 1/2 hour.
<<

bmc1284

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I can see how righties have CCW issues, as I have CW issues. Usually I'll just switch to BOK and use my thumb.

Return to Lock Picking